what can this strange window mean? virus?

laptopdunce 21:46 18 Feb 2017

If I leave my laptop unattended for a while I keep getting a strange white banner in the middle of the screen, I cant copy and paste any of it so its difficult to explain it, it is all typewritten and has loads of text on it and at the end something about trojans being an entry into hard drives and do not try to repair this yourself, you hard drive could be corrupted and loss of data etc., etc., then a toll free number to call (so looks U.S. oriented) this has happened a few times and I restart and run antimalware bytes, adware scanner and do a CCleaner, but it doesnt reveal anything, but there must be something there to keep bringing up this banner, it only seems to appear when I have left the computer idle with open pages like ebay and other sites. Is there something embedded on the computer? why isnt malwarebtyes scan or adwarescanner not bringing anything up? not even a PUP? thanks Laptopdunce

Electronic_Eric 21:52 18 Feb 2017

It sounds like a virus of some sort to me.

Are you able to take a screen capture? Or even a photo taken by your phone or something?

I doubt CCleaner would actually find anything since i'm sure it's not a anti virus/malware scanner. I would try some other anti virus/malware scanners since they all can't find anything. It might be worthwhile running HiJackThis to see what might be running in the background.

Whilst you attempt to resolve this, attempt to use another internet browser. You might have an internet browser specific virus/malware.

Govan1x 08:36 19 Feb 2017

Sounds like a scammer may have got into your Laptop so be careful not to phone any numbers or take ant calls in case it is scammers.

Definitely a scam message.

Give adw cleaner a run from here.

Click Here

That should remove it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:22 19 Feb 2017

it only seems to appear when I have left the computer idle with open pages like ebay and other sites.

That's because its a redirected web page.

just ignore it or look carefully at what web browser tools / extensions you have

Have you run ADWcleaner from malwarebytes?

laptopdunce 09:58 19 Feb 2017

thanks fruitbat, I ran the adwarecleaner from that link that Govan sent, (I always use antimalwarebytes and the malwarebytes direct link as soon as this banner appears) this must be a time delayed thing as it only appears when I have left the laptop on for a while unattended, the banner is in the middle of the entire screen and looks very Americanese written, with toll free numbers to call etc., - of course I would never do, I shut down the laptop or restart and then run the antimalwarebytes scan and that malwarebytes direct adwarecleaner scan, but neither bring anything up, I havent tried to make a screenshot of it but will try next time or take photo of it close up, I am just wondering why this must still be coming up when the scans all say there is nothing there. I use this laptop for ebay and paypal and that seems OK. i still get the green security padlock appears and https before the paypal site, is there any security issue with this qua bank/ebay/paypal? thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 10:00 19 Feb 2017

PS, if I reset chrome browser will that stop it? I only use chrome on this laptop though I.E. is installed on it laptopdunce

laptopdunce 10:17 19 Feb 2017

PPS in the tools > extensions I notice that there are all the googgle docs/sheets etc, an adobe acrobate are all "enabled" BUT at the top there is an Adblock plus ABP that is not enabled, should I enable this? in the browser bar at the top I am only getting a star showing to bookmaark a page an a funny kind of a jigsaw izon with a red cross in the bottom right and when I put the mouse n this it says plug ins were blocked on this page (while I am on PC advisor) Am I right to enable this ABP or is there a better adblocker and if so how do I add it to extensions thanks laptopducne

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 19 Feb 2017

Yes enable Adblock plus

Burn-it 13:50 19 Feb 2017

Try resetting the screensaver. The clue is in the "only happens when I leave it idle"

laptopdunce 15:10 19 Feb 2017

How do I reset the screensaver (dont know what that means) - I must admit it has got alot better since I re-enabled this ABP adwardblocker in the google settings in extensions. laptopdunce (but I am still nervous this banner will re-appear sometime)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 19 Feb 2017

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)