what cable do i need for external hdd

bumpkin 19:25 29 Aug 2018

I have an external 1TB HDD that I have not used for a while. I now want to use it for backing up but can't find a suitable cable even though I know I have 2 somewhere. I will buy another one but not sure what it is. Standard USB one end and the other is same size but split into 2, one for data and one for power. Had a look on ebay but with so many cables available I could refine the search if I new what it is called.

MJS WARLORD 23:10 29 Aug 2018

you have answered your own question you know what the split cable does..... contact the makers and just ask them what cable you require.

wee eddie 00:41 30 Aug 2018

This should be what you need href this works

wee eddie 00:43 30 Aug 2018

I'll try again when I'm on my PC tomorrow

wee eddie 01:12 30 Aug 2018
  rdave13 03:26 30 Aug 2018
  rdave13 03:29 30 Aug 2018

Otherwise if you only have USB2 you will need one with two USB connections, one for power. Assuming drive is 2.5 " drive.

bumpkin 10:27 30 Aug 2018

Thanks for the links but it is neither of those. There is only one connector on each end, one is standard USB and the other (same size) looks like std usb but is slightly different. The ones I have but can't find were used for connecting external drives. Yes this drive is 2.5".

lotvic 11:41 30 Aug 2018

wee eddie and rdave13, why have your links got a buy.geni.us proxy link at front of Amazon URL?

Or, if it is just me, could I have a problem on my smartphone?

rdave13 12:07 30 Aug 2018

Pick one from here showing various types.

Aitchbee 12:11 30 Aug 2018

There's some more here.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9