What Cable Do I Need To Buy For My Monitor?

Vanch 16:54 22 Apr 2018

I just bought a used monitor (Acer S230HL - click here, although it didn't come with a cable to connect it to my graphics card, so I have to now buy a cable.

I am currently using an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 970' graphics card, although I am unsure as to what kind of cable to buy. The monitor I bought only has a DVI and VGA slot, although I want to use the DVI slot so that I can run it in HD. My graphics card DOES have a DVI port, although I'm a little confused due to the choices available to me. There are DVI, DVI-I, DVI-D cables and also Single Link and Dual Link. I have no idea of the difference between all of these, and just want it to run properly.

Basically, what kind of DVI cable do I need to buy in order to get this particular monitor running properly with my graphics card?

Thank you.

Archonar 17:06 22 Apr 2018

From the spec sheet here, the 970 takes dvi-i dual link.

Menzie 17:07 22 Apr 2018

What brand of GeForce do you have? Each manufacturer puts different connectors at the back of their product.

I'm guessing it is most likely a DVI-D cable but would need the make of the video card to be sure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 22 Apr 2018

Card has Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort 1.2

so what you have on your monitor? you need the Dual Link DVI-I

Vanch 18:08 22 Apr 2018

The graphics card brand is ASUS.

So would I just buy a 'Dual Link DVI-I' cable then?

The back of the monitor and graphics card both have a DVI slot which looks like this:

[img][click here]1 the back of the graphics card ALSO has a DVI slow which looks like this:

[img][click here]2

Although

Vanch 18:09 22 Apr 2018

The back of the monitor and graphics card both have a DVI slot which looks like this:

click here the back of the graphics card ALSO has a DVI slow which looks like this:

click here

Although

Menzie 18:31 22 Apr 2018

The good thing about DVI-I is it will deliver a digital or analogue signal as appropriate for the connection.

A DVI-I cable appears to be what you need.

Menzie 18:34 22 Apr 2018

My error the slot that you show both the monitor and card having is a DVI-D one. So that will be the cable to get.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?