What Cable Do I Need To Buy For My Monitor?

Vanch 16:54 22 Apr 2018

I just bought a used monitor (Acer S230HL - click here, although it didn't come with a cable to connect it to my graphics card, so I have to now buy a cable.

I am currently using an 'Nvidia GeForce GTX 970' graphics card, although I am unsure as to what kind of cable to buy. The monitor I bought only has a DVI and VGA slot, although I want to use the DVI slot so that I can run it in HD. My graphics card DOES have a DVI port, although I'm a little confused due to the choices available to me. There are DVI, DVI-I, DVI-D cables and also Single Link and Dual Link. I have no idea of the difference between all of these, and just want it to run properly.

Basically, what kind of DVI cable do I need to buy in order to get this particular monitor running properly with my graphics card?

Thank you.

Archonar 17:06 22 Apr 2018

From the spec sheet here, the 970 takes dvi-i dual link.

Menzie 17:07 22 Apr 2018

What brand of GeForce do you have? Each manufacturer puts different connectors at the back of their product.

I'm guessing it is most likely a DVI-D cable but would need the make of the video card to be sure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 22 Apr 2018

Card has Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort 1.2

so what you have on your monitor? you need the Dual Link DVI-I

Vanch 18:08 22 Apr 2018

The graphics card brand is ASUS.

So would I just buy a 'Dual Link DVI-I' cable then?

The back of the monitor and graphics card both have a DVI slot which looks like this:

[img][click here]1 the back of the graphics card ALSO has a DVI slow which looks like this:

[img][click here]2

Although

Vanch 18:09 22 Apr 2018

The back of the monitor and graphics card both have a DVI slot which looks like this:

click here the back of the graphics card ALSO has a DVI slow which looks like this:

click here

Although

Menzie 18:31 22 Apr 2018

The good thing about DVI-I is it will deliver a digital or analogue signal as appropriate for the connection.

A DVI-I cable appears to be what you need.

Menzie 18:34 22 Apr 2018

My error the slot that you show both the monitor and card having is a DVI-D one. So that will be the cable to get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures tablettes pour enfants