What are your views on an all-in-one

diddi.ash 22:31 29 Nov 2003

I need a new printer and with my experience have never had a problem with epson, but like the idea of an all-in-one (printer,scanner,photocopier)
Are they as good as having seperates?
Any ideas what is the best model to get?
ie: epson,HP.
Im currently running windows 98.

Jester2K II 22:35 29 Nov 2003

Home or office?

As an office tool i think they are OK.

Personally i prefer separates.

All in ones are getting better but all those I've seen (and I've installed quite a few)are "jack of all trades but master of none"

All seem to scan OK but the print quality can be OK to poor...

A good scanner and a good printer are hard to beat.... (especially when the label says "Canon")

diddi.ash 22:39 29 Nov 2003

Its just for home, kids printing out homework and photos from our kodak easyshare. which did print out good photos on the epson 480!

Jester2K II 22:43 29 Nov 2003

Go to PC World and they often have sample print outs to look at. Take a picture along and see if they'll scan and print it for you.

Nothing is as convincing as seeing it with your own eyes!

However whilst i admit they are space saving and have useful extras such as the ability to scan and print without the PC being ON (as a Youth Football Team Treasurer that WOULD be very useful) i can't even see one beating my separates - YET!

Also if the scanner goes you loose a printer too (and visa versa)

diddi.ash 22:48 29 Nov 2003

thanks, i think my scanner may go next anyway as i have had that for a couple of years too.
its very tempting as staples have an HP all in one for £79.99

Dragon Heart 00:26 30 Nov 2003

Beware the ink replacement costs. I read that one Lexmark all-in-one had ink cartridges that cost more than the hardware itself !

BeeWee 02:34 30 Nov 2003

have just bought the hp 1205 from amazon for &85 (free delivery)and it's fantastic!! i would recommend it very highly to anyone. i did a lot of research first and this model is compact and a good workhorse. i have found a site which sells compatible inks relatively cheaply too if you are interested?

diddi.ash 11:05 30 Nov 2003

What about the epson all in one.

pj123 12:09 30 Nov 2003

The Epson CX range all look good to me. Good prices for compatible ink from click here as well. The only disadvantage I can see with all-in-ones is "if one part goes wrong - it all goes wrong"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)