what are the causes of slow computer?

kromy1994 21:11 25 Apr 2018

Hi I have a pc with high specs but unfortunately, it slows down from time to time so I checked the usage of the processor and ram [i7 processor and 64 Gb of ram] then I noticed that there are no pressure on the processor or the ram, so I thought it may be the heat that is causing the pc to slow down but when I checked the temperature of the cpu it was 57C maximum, and then I said it may be the viruses so I formatted the pc and reinsstalled windows 10, still my pc is slow !!!, and now I have no clue why is my pc slowing down.

It slows down for seconds and then returns to normal, If it happens once in an hour I would be ok with it but it happens very often, what makes me confused is that I have a pretty powerful pc and It is slow how that happens.

Note: It wasn't like this when I bought it it was fast but after 4 years it became slow.

sorry for the basic English, English is not my mother language.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 25 Apr 2018

if its not

1. virus / malware
  2. program using too much memory
  3. full hard drives
  4. windows system problems
  5. heat

I suggest you next look at the state of your hard drives SMART status and run a deep memory test.

kromy1994 21:21 25 Apr 2018

It is none of the points you mentioned, and about the hard drive, I have a new ssd.

kromy1994 21:31 25 Apr 2018

what do you mean by windows system problems?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 25 Apr 2018

corrupt system files but if you have reinstalled it can't be that, you have eliminated software problems so that leaves hardware.

if its a new SSD then memory is the next likely culprit run a memtest.

What at the psu voltages like? cause if it isn't memory then psu and motherboard are alls that left.

christinebelle 10:50 26 Apr 2018

On the basis of that fact, as for what causes a computer to freeze or hang, they are mainly:

1. Full Disk usage on Windows 10.

2. Memory issues.

3. Corrupted files.

4. Outdated or incompatible drivers.

5. Recently installed third-party software.

6. Problematic Power settings.

7. Overheating.

8. System error.

And you can get more information from here: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 26 Apr 2018

A BIOS update is a last resort and shouldn't be used lightly as a failed BIOS update will result in your machine turning into nothing but a doorstop. :0(

danielrt 07:51 27 Apr 2018

The slow computer is because it may have virus, which is effected this might be the reason of the slow computer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?