Hot Topics

Weird scratching noise coming from PC

Mali Paun 08:53 11 Jul 2020

So... this started happening about two months ago. I noticed the weird scratching noise a few days prior to downloading GTA V. After that when I start the game the screen goes black and the keyboard goes off, the PC still runs about 10 seconds later and then it restarts. At first I tought it was the PSU but everything to this day still runs good. I had no problems with it going off because I stopped playing the game for about 20 days (I forgot to mention that PC works fine when the games load in windowed mode, as soon as I switch them to fullscreen it just crashes and does the same thing. I noticed that after booting up again and immediately starting GTA V and switching it to fullscreen mode it does not crash, but if I do that after the PC has been running for some time it crashes). I played League of Legends and it never happened to me until this morning when I went into a game and it crashed the same as it did with GTA. Besides the gaming, when I shut off the PC or put it to sleep and turn it back on again it does the scratching noise I suppose is coming from the hard drive, and it just stays stuck on the boot up screen. Sometimes it scratches for 15 seconds and boots up, sometimes it goes for 2-3 minutes and sometimes it won't start at all until you restart it a few times. I noticed also, when I exit sleep mode and go to the desktop it scratches and won't open anything for 5 minutes until it stops scratching. Once it crashed after 5 minutes of being frozen like that on the desktop.

TLDR: PC makes scratching noise, won't boot up when shut off or put to sleep. Sometimes crashes when opening games.

Sorry for the long as heck description. I'm 99% sure it is the hard drive. If you have any info or solutions please do respond, your help will be greatly appreciated.

john bunyan 10:14 11 Jul 2020

What PC? What Operating System? For a start in case it is the HD I would make a clone or an image of your HD on an external HD using something like Macrium Reflect. Others will no doubt comment.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:34 11 Jul 2020

some hard drive noise here does it sound like one of these?

Mali Paun 11:09 11 Jul 2020

I recorded the scratching but I don't know how I can link it to here.

Mali Paun 11:16 11 Jul 2020

Ok, here's the recording. Uploaded it - click here

x13 11:28 11 Jul 2020

I vote for Hard Drive noise. A fan noise would be more constant. Make an image as soon as possible.

wee eddie 11:31 11 Jul 2020

Sounds like mine does when it needs cleaning.

Borrow a Hair Drier and a 1/2 inch Paint Brush (it should not have plastic bristles) > Take the side off your PC and take it outdoors > blow the dust out and use the brush to loosen any dust on the Fan Blades and between the Tines of the Heatsinks > Blow again > Avoid touching anything except with the bristles of the brush.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra launched: 120x zoom, 120W charging & 120Hz display

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?