Weird issue with laptop powering off.

David Roberts 12:53 16 Feb 2019

Hi Guys,

My Dads laptop (12 ys old ish - windows 10) will suddenly switch off and power back up instantly, whether running any programmes or just sitting with windows desktop. No blue screen, no proper shut down etc. All checks/scans fine. The weird thing is, as long music playing via spotify is playing in the background, no shutdown will ever occur. What on earth is going on here? Cant be overheating/dodgy power switch. Cheers and confused. Dave

wee eddie 14:33 16 Feb 2019

Have you tried cleaning the airways

David Roberts 16:34 16 Feb 2019

Airways. Yes cheers. But even if blocked, that would not explain why spotify prevents shut down.

wiganken2 17:34 16 Feb 2019

You say "(12 ys old ish - windows 10)" so that sounds as if you have installed Win 10 on a very old laptop. Windows 10 was released in 2015. Did the problem start after installing Windows 10? It may be that the laptop is not totally compatible with the Win 10 OS even though it may have installed OK?

wiganken2 17:36 16 Feb 2019

Also have you updated all drivers?

David Roberts 18:19 16 Feb 2019

Yeah old lappy + windows 10 always the potential. Had windows 10 for 3 yrs, he just said it started 3 months ago after the last large update. Obviously some weird conflict.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 16 Feb 2019

the big updates tend to install windows drivers rather than the devices manufactures drivers often causes problems.

so as suggested earlier look to your drivers.

David Roberts 20:34 16 Feb 2019

Ah ok device drivers. Thanks for that. Good idea. Hadnt considered that. Will look into and see if thats a solution. Thanks for the help so far guys. I promise to update either way. Might help someone else.

Quickbeam 07:12 17 Feb 2019

You're lucky it's still working at that age!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 17 Feb 2019

Quickbeam

I have a 1988 laptop (green screen and bigger than my current desktop) still working, I've had to desolder the onboard CMOS battery and replace with a wired replaceable one other than that it still works. Runs DOS 5

:0)

Forum Editor 11:41 17 Feb 2019

Moved to Tech Helproom from Speakers Corner.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Apple TV+ : date de sortie, prix et catalogue