Weird email, Scam/Virus?

rawprawn 08:20 26 Jan 2012
Answered

This morning I got an email purporting to be from American Airlines showing I had bought a ticket as this

Hello

FLIGHT NUMBER AB221 ELECTRONIC 8383035 DATE & TIME / JANUARY 31, 2012, 09:11 PM ARRIVING / Oceanside TOTAL PRICE / 122.12 USD

Please find your ticket attached. You can print your ticket.

"Hello" sounds wrong and I cannot open the "Ticket" and I have just checked my credit cards (Nothing Showing) Anybody seen this before? RP

rawprawn 08:36 26 Jan 2012

Morning cocteau48, I should have said I looked at it on my Mac, not on my Windows computer so I think the chances of me getting a virus is minimal. Still it really does make you wonder.

Ian in Northampton 08:44 26 Jan 2012

The question to ask here is the same one you ask when you get an email saying you've won the lottery. But instead of "Did I ever buy a ticket for the lottery?" in this case it would be "Did I ever buy a ticket from American Airlines?" If the answer in either case is "no", then it's patently a scam and following a link or opening an attachment is potentially dangerous. Having a Mac, you may have got away with it...

rawprawn 08:50 26 Jan 2012

I am interested to see if I can find out anything else. I am just doing a full Acronis backup on Windows and I will then have a look at it with Norton.

onthelimit1 08:56 26 Jan 2012

Friend yesterday had several emails purporting to come from DHL, with a click here for parcel tracking. It all looked genuine apart from the 'Hello Dear' at the start! Oh, and he hadn't ordered anything.

Batch 09:00 26 Jan 2012

This sounds a classic scam to get you to open an infected attachment.

You know that you haven't ordered / bought anything, but they rely on your curiosity getting the better of you.

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN THESE UP!

rawprawn 09:02 26 Jan 2012
Answer

OK Discretion is the better part of valour, I have deleted the offending item.

Thanks RP

rawprawn 11:50 26 Jan 2012

Thanks for the further posts, I have deleted it, but I did note that the attachment had Zero Bytes.

clock thanks for the reassurance.

rawprawn 12:58 26 Jan 2012

Hi Joolorna Thanks for that link, it says it all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Women creative grads – this is how you fix the industry

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Comment diminuer le buffering sur Kodi ?