Webspace - Free Space Remaining - How?

Pesala 23:11 04 Nov 2003

I use FTP Commander to manage my webspace. How can I tell how much free space remains? FTP Commander is pretty basic, but there is an option to enter a command.

Sir Radfordin 16:01 06 Nov 2003

UNIX won't recognise DOS commands since it's UNIX and not DOS.

Under UNIX your quota can be checked by using the command 'quota'. This will display your current filesystem usage in the following way.

Disk quotas for user (XXXX) (uid XXX):
Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
/usr 120 10000 10150 51 2000 2500

This report shows that currently 120K of 10MB of space is used for 51 of 2000 files.

click here

Jester2K II 16:04 06 Nov 2003

Sorry - didn't realise that you were on NTL or i wouldn't have asked. Yes i have tried to get help from NTL - failed..... :-(

Pesala 16:53 06 Nov 2003

Nothing works. Quota doesn't work quota doesn't work, QUOTA doesn't work. I just get the message:

ERROR 500 QUOTA NOT UNDERSTOOD

I don't understood either.

I shall have to resort to some silly workaround like uploading 100K files until the space is full, then deleting them one by one. Just as well I'm on a fixed rate connecton.

Pesala 08:40 11 Nov 2003

The installation program did apparently install the program to its program directory, but failed before setting up the shortcuts. Now I have created my own Start menu shortcut and all is working fine. No sign of any quotas though, just a listing of individual directories.

I think I prefer the simplicity of FTP Commander, but WS FTP seems to have more options. I will keep installed for the time being as it takes up hardly any space at all.

Sir Radfordin 09:30 11 Nov 2003

If you are going to get the quota information (and not all FTP servers give it) then it will be in the box just above the close button once you have connected.

Pesala 10:14 11 Nov 2003

Neither off my servers seem to provide the quota information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)