Website source help needed please - Thanks

john12 08:01 07 Oct 2019

Hi And thanks for reading this thread.

I have hired a company to build me a website, they took £300 from me stating this would be the cost of building the website. Sadly, they returned saying they wanted £3000 a year for maintanence and 10% of the business that goes through the website.

I refused and they left without returning my £300.

A similar thing happened from another web designer.

Can you please tell me if you have used anyone to build you a website, and if you have got a fair deal from them, someone who keeps his word and is open in dealings.

Many thanks.Hi And thanks for reading this thread.

A similar thing happened from another web designer.

Can you please tell me if you have used anyone to build you a website, and if you have got a fair deal from them, someone who keeps his word and is open in dealings.

Many thanks,

wee eddie 08:59 07 Oct 2019

While I have no idea if the prices you have seen are industrial norms. I would not be surprised to see such prices.

Going back a bit. I had a Café with a Tea business on the side. When I considered going on-line, the cost of updating product prices and descriptions on the Website would, very likely, have made it unviable, considering the turnover I was expecting.

You were right finding out the potential Costs, before committing yourself. Sad that you lost your deposit. Good luck in the future

john12 07:47 08 Oct 2019

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds really expensive, i thought it would probably be a few hundred pounds. I mean websites are so commonplace nowadays, everyone seems to have one.

wee eddie 08:56 08 Oct 2019

Web Designers quite fancy themselves as "High" earners.

Probably, as a result of your experience, the way to go is to gather Links to sites that you think would represent you, in a manner that you believe in, and then get several "Quotes" for creating a similar site for your.

You should not have to pay a "deposit" for a simple Quote.

However, if you want a mock-up, you will need to put some money down.

Menzie 12:47 08 Oct 2019

If you're running a business just go with one of the larger web design companies that provide the design, hosting and are upfront about any costs you may incur.

£300 sounds ridiculously cheap for designing a website and that price as it turns out was too good to be true.

Find one of the main suppliers of such a service and go with them.

john12 07:58 09 Oct 2019

Can you tell me anything about these suppliers, have you used anyone and have been happy with the service, or have you heard anything. Just don't want to get ripped off again. Many thanks. Incidentally, a touch of good luck, an in-law of mine says he knows how to build websites but does not know how to link them up to accept payments. Do you have any idea about this, do i need to approach the banks. Many thanks.

wee eddie 08:07 09 Oct 2019

John, if you are going to be Trading. Look at eBay and Amazon, I believe they have "In-House" Web Design facilities.

If you are going to be running a business, the design of your Website is a cost, and therefor, Tax Deductible

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)