WEBSITE CREATION- EMBED OR LINK PICTURES????

rotormota 12:07 22 May 2005

If I link pictures in my new website am I correct in saying that I have to be online 24/7 so that the images can be sourced to the original file on my PC?

If this is the case then embed will be the option I will use as I am not online all of the time.

Many thanks.
J.

Charlie Babbage 15:25 22 May 2005

.. I would have thought that you would only have to be online 24/7 if you are hosting the site on your own machine.

Normally, you upload your pages and the images to a web hosting company. If all the images are kept in a separate folder which is uploaded with the pages then the pictures could still be linked can't they?

Pesala 17:49 22 May 2005

Sounds like you might be. If you create a link to a file on your hard disk, when you upload the webpage to your webspace the file will automatically be uploaded too, and the link on your page will point to it. Anyone clicking the link will open the image.

A direct image link is often best for images not intended for displaying in the browser, but for downloading. Otherwise, the best is a thumbnail on the main page with a link to a separate page designed for the image. The idea is to minimize the data that people have to download.

See the thumbnail on this page: click here The thumbnail links to a bigger image. Below the thumbnail is a link to a high resolution image for downloading. Users can also view this image in their browser, but it is too wide to fit. It doesn't have an HTML web page of its own, but the link points directly to the image.

Only the thumbnail is "embedded" on the page, so the page loads very fast. Never say never, but never embed large images on a page, nor resize them after placing them. Resize images in an image program, and compress them to the lowest quality that is acceptable.

rotormota 18:57 22 May 2005

Hi & thanks to both of you there. Obviously I'm just getting to grips with how this website creation works but your information helps considerably.

I am using Serif Webplus 9 by the way. I have imported images & reduced them using SWP as it is easy to do & at the moment they are embedded but it seems linking will be better. I didn't realise a folder gets uploaded wih the pages so I will make a specific folder just for the sites images.

Just one other thing, surely compressing the images as much as possible is going to make the final quality a tad dodgy?

Thanks again.
J

Forum Editor 19:28 22 May 2005

to keep site images in a separate folder within your web, and then to link to them from your pages. As the others have said, your images must reside on the server with the other site files.

Optimising compression is an art, and one that's learned slowly. Practice with different compression settings until you discover the right one for your images. Make sure that you choose the correct file format too - don't save a logo as a .jpeg for instance. That format is primarily for images with lots of detail - photographs normally - whereas .gif is good for graphics that have simple blocks of colour.

Experiment - you'll find the right trade-off between files-size and quality. More and more people have broadband connections nowadays, so if in doubt go for a slightly larger file size.

rotormota 19:51 22 May 2005

Hi again & thanks for further advice. Progress has been made! I am now using Microsoft Digital Image Pro to make thumbnail images. This software has a specific facility to make web ready images with thumbnail option.

The end result is that the thumbs are now the right size & only a few kbs. I can then link using SWP to the original quality image in a newly created folder for the images.

Looking good so far.

Many thanks...watch this space!
J

JattMan 20:45 22 May 2005

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?