webroot internet security essentials

rubygxx 14:07 02 Nov 2011

Hello, i have a laptop here that has webroot internet security installed i think it is a virus as it will not uninstall anyway at all , i have tried in safe mode too but it will not go, i have run Malwarebytes it found nothing, tried running it in safe mode but it gets so far then laptop switches off, even if i search for webroot files with the search facility using advanced searching everywhere on pc , it comes up with zilch, but the files are there in program files etc, is there any way to get rid of this ? thank you.
PS it is a vista operating system.

rubygxx 20:26 02 Nov 2011

Thanks for the link, i already had Malwarebytes but i uninstalled it and went through the steps on the bleeping computer link you gave, after running Malwarebytes again, it still came up clean, i also have tried to install AVG but it wont complete, says right at the end that MSI agent failed to install the product, i have tried to uninstall this webroot thing through CC Cleaner and add remove progs but it will not go, any other ideas as to what i could do next, thank you.

rubygxx 13:33 03 Nov 2011

Hi and thanks, i do not think the owner of this laptop would have bought software, i think either he or his daughter would maybe have got it off internet, even if i stop it from starting up , it comes back when i log off and log on again, i have tried stopping the process and then uninstalling but that does not work either, cannot uninstall in safe mode either, i have sent him a message to ask if he bought it , if he did i will try what you said.

rubygxx 07:37 04 Nov 2011

Thanks , that was one of the first things i did, but there were no entries that indicated webroot, also tried disabling the process before trying to uninstall the program but that didn't work, i have also discovered there is something called spysweeper too,i am having problems actually getting the laptop to stay on this morning, it keeps switching its self off, i asked the owner if he downloaded or bought this webroot, they downloaded it as i thought, when i try to find out about it , it seems to be a legitimate program, but it is completely controlling the laptop as in cant get rid of it at all.

rubygxx 07:45 04 Nov 2011

OK, i just went back into msconfig to check again , and either i am going blind or daft, but webroot was there, i have now disabled it and restarted , then i am going to see what happens, can't believe i missed that.

rubygxx 08:11 04 Nov 2011

Hi,i have stopped the webroot program from starting up , but now each time i switch laptop on either in safe mode or normal mode, i go to end the process for spysweeper and as soon as i end that the laptop goes off, i thought now it is stopped from starting up and if i disabled the process i might get it uninstalled, if i do not end the process and go into add remove progs even in safe mode and try to uninstall , a wee window opens and a blue line runs through then nothing, the webroot is still there, i have tried deleting the folder from the program files it looks like its doing it but goes on forever the i get a box coming up saying try again, i have tried renaming the folder and maybe get it deleted that way but it won't let me, i am at aloss as to what to do next .

rubygxx 09:05 04 Nov 2011

Me again, now when i go to task manager there are these processes AEI.exe, SSU.exe these are spysweeper processes which when i try to end i get access denied, i cannot stop the service realated to them either, also there is WRconsumer process which i cannot end again i get access denied this is a webroot process, there is a WRcleanupEn process which i am not sure about, i try to go to file location and nothing happens so i don't know if its in with this webroot crap, i downloaded RKill which did not work, it did not seem to be able to find any malicious processes, if i could get these stopped i may be able to get the thing uninstalled.

rubygxx 20:25 04 Nov 2011

I would like to thank you all for your help, i tried the option from sea urchin, downloaded and run the removal tool, but webroot and spysweeper were still there after the window closed, then i downloaded and run Revo uninstaller pro, it got as far as deleting leftover registry files then it gave me a list of leftover files and folders , i checked them all and clicked delete, it said deleting files but the bar never moved and after five mins waiting the laptop switched off !, i am going to try and get it on in safe mode and run the uninstaller again see if it will complete this time.

rubygxx 17:55 05 Nov 2011

Thanks for all your help, i run the Revo uninstaller again this morning, it must have not worked properly yesterday because webroot was still in the program list, but it uninstalled today, also got rid of all the leftover registry files and there were hundreds ! still stalled at deleting leftover files and folder though, when i checked the task manager processes and that damn spysweeper was still there although the webroot one was gone, so i restarted laptop and went into safe mode and tried again to end the process, this time it went , when i restarted again it was gone, so i went and manually deleted all the webroot files and folders i could find and finally got AVG installed, so thanks again, i will remember that Revo uninstaller , great program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)