Webpage deadend

RoA 19:34 11 Nov 2006

I am having a problem with accessing webpages when I 'drill down' through some websites to reach relevant pages. Homepages usually come up ok, links to second pages usually ok but when I try to third or fourth page (usually the crucial one I am looking for!), I get a quick run through the green progress indicator to the right of the bottom taskbar then the 'done' indication appears on the left of the taskbar but all I have is a blank page. On some websites I get as far as entering username and password but pressing the 'enter' button does nothing. Most of the websites involved are related to personal finance or household utilities accounts - is this relevant to the problem?
I am currently using a payg account - my broadband account with the abysmal apology for an ISP Orange has not worked for a month. Is there anyone out there with any idea what the problem might be or what I might do to try to solve it?
Any help or advice gratefully received.
OS is XP Home SP1 (SP2 crashes everything!).

johnnyrocker 23:39 11 Nov 2006

that should not be the case if the pre-install instructions are read and followed ie uprade certain progs on pc before SP2 ie compliance, resolving this issue may well solve any other probs you have.

johnny.

RoA 19:57 12 Nov 2006

Thanks Johnny.
The SP2 installation was tried within a couple of weeks of release by Microsoft and after preinstallation instructions WERE carried out but still to disastrous effect. The webpage problem started occuring when I first used the dialup payg connection (on 13th October 2006).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?