Webcam and spyware/ad-ware

Cyberbia 12:14 02 Mar 2003

I've just bought a Labtec webcam from a friend (who could'nt get the thing to work - DOH!)

The software that comes with the camera saves all video files in .rm format.

The player that comes with the camera is RealOne Player - which bombards me with rubbish ad's that I dont want!! Also if I want to send videos to my friends and relatives, I dont want them to have to download RealOne Player in order to view my video just so that RealOne can inflict its spyware on them!!

Does anyone else know where I can download preferably free) software that can decode the signal from the camera and have it saved in a different format - preferably a format that Microsoft's Mediaplayer can read?

Or, can Mediaplayer read .rm files?

Many thanks

mikef™ 12:45 02 Mar 2003

To get rid of the adverts open up the Real player/ View/ Message Centre/ Options/ Personalise your Message Centre and remove all the ticks in the boxes and that should get rid of all the adverts etc. That's how mine is set up and I don't get any.

Cyberbia 13:26 02 Mar 2003

Hi

Thanks for your reply, but I would really like to get rid of RealOne altogether.

RealOne constantly wants to connect to the internet each time you start the thing up. I can imagine my friends and relatives reactions - some who are not really proficient in the use of PC's and the internet - when they try to install RealOne for the first time.

I think that the whole process will

a) bewilder them and,

b)give them second thoughts about having me as a friend or relative!!

But thanks again for your reply.

PL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?