Web Page Link Problems

yuran 07:55 13 Jul 2003

I ?Upgraded? to WIN XP from 98SE last week and seem to have picked up a problem to do with the internet. I am running Outlook Express and IE6.
When I click on a web page link within an e-mail in OE, instead of IE opening and going to the page nothing happens (this is the case with every email).
The same is true when I go to any web site directly through IE, I can access the web site ok but when I click on any page link again nothing happens.
Could it be a problem with one of the advanced options within IE6 or perhaps a security issue?
Any advise you can offer would be great.
Many thanks

Magik ®© 08:19 13 Jul 2003

it sounds like you need to lower the security in IE and also if you have zone alarm or something like it that as well,

yuran 08:53 13 Jul 2003

I have turned down the security setting to its lowest and the privacy one as well and have removed zone alarm - still no luck!! Are there any other settings to adjust?
Cheers

VoG II 09:20 13 Jul 2003

To fix the problem in IE

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

The OE problem may be related. If not

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177054

yuran 16:21 13 Jul 2003

Thanks for all of your help, I have followed all the steps but the problem still remains - It seems that when a link is clicked IE will not open a new window to display the page that is supposed to open - is this any help in resolving the problem?
cheers

Valvegrid 16:52 13 Jul 2003

You might try going to 'Tools>Internet Options' and click on advanced tab and at the bottom click 'Restore Defaults' then click 'Apply ' this will make sure all the boxes that should be ticked are correct.

Paul.

Valvegrid 17:04 13 Jul 2003

I thought I had read another thread very similar, this chap seemed to have the same problem and cured it:

click here

yuran 21:12 13 Jul 2003

I think this problem is bigger than I imagined, I have tried all the tips on the following site - none work for me!!

click here

Any other ideas would be gratefully received
thanks all

VoG II 21:20 13 Jul 2003

Try a repair of Internet Explorer click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?