web cam won't work on skype

murshad 17:22 04 Mar 2010

I installed a SN9C120 web cam on my XP computer.When I go on My computer then scanner and cameras and click on camera icon then the camera is working, but on Skype the camera is not working just black screen for a while then a message " unknown error". Please help me How can I use the web cam on Skype.Thanks in advance

Technotiger 17:46 04 Mar 2010

Maybe you need to re-load the driver for the webcam click here

Also, in Skype have you clicked on the drop-down arrow in Tools>Options>Video settings, to make sure your cam is shown?

murshad 20:12 04 Mar 2010

yes I re loaded the driver couple of times and also in Skype when I clicked on Tools>video setting I see only black screen with "unknown error"

Technotiger 20:37 04 Mar 2010

But in Video settings, did you click on the Drop-down arrow alongside where the cam name should appear, to check that your cam is listed?

Technotiger 20:39 04 Mar 2010

Also, if your cam is listed correctly after clicking on the drop-down arrow, don't forget to click on Save at the bottom of that window.

murshad 21:10 04 Mar 2010

In the video setting above the big black rectangle name of the cam shown and at the same time bottom right corner next to the clock there is a camera icon ans a text is appearing"web cam stats to capture" but after couple of second a text is appearing on the big black rectangle "unknown error"

Technotiger 21:26 04 Mar 2010

I have made an extensive search via Google, it would appear that your webcam is NOT compatible with Skype!

murshad 21:39 04 Mar 2010

Technotiger 21:47 04 Mar 2010

Sorry I could not find any better result!

murshad 18:28 05 Mar 2010

I tried with another cam.Still the same problem "unknown error", but a text came in video setting that a I need to install DirectX which I did. Now both cams are working

Technotiger 18:39 05 Mar 2010

That's Grrreat - thanks for your feedback.

I must remember that for possible future use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?