Wanting to connect to far away wifi

Mr_y_presents 21:05 29 Jun 2018

Hi! I've just moved in across the road from my aunt. She never uses her wifi and says I can use it if I can get a connection. My laptop can sometimes pick it up but it's rare. Her router is next to her front door so it's as close as it can be to me. Is there anything I can get to increase my laptops search range? Some sort of USB adapter? Can't find anything that's very clear! Thanks!

MJS WARLORD 13:59 30 Jun 2018

Try this , delete her details then put the laptop as close as possible to your aunts router , this will lock it with the strongest possible signal. Now go back home and try again. Who is your isp , I am with bt , if you can register your home as a wi fi hot spot you will legally be able to use other peoples set ups that have also got themselves registered as a hot spot. That's the trade off , you use theres and somebody else uses yours. You might even find a stronger signal than your aunts.

lotvic 20:09 30 Jun 2018

MJS WARLORD, BT hotspot, that's not very secure WiFi. Also the first part of your post sounds a bit dubious and muddled. If he had his own ISP there would be no need to use his aunt's Wifi.

rdave13 20:47 30 Jun 2018

I'm sure it would be against the Aunt's ISP's terms and conditions to broadcast freely outside of the paying premises, with intent, anyway. So a non-starter for advice.

rdave13 22:25 30 Jun 2018

Who said anything about broadcasting freely?

What the OP asked was for free internet. What you replied was for extending your own internet connection, on your own property, which you pay for. What's so hard for you to understand the difference huh?

rdave13 22:39 30 Jun 2018

The difference is the ISP's terms and conditions. Ask the OP to go through the Aunt's ISP's T&C's. Fraud is a criminal offence in this country.

lotvic 23:00 30 Jun 2018

Mrypresents, doesn't look as if there is a solution for you as aunt's Wifi signal from her router is not strong enough to reach to opposite side of road.

rdave13 23:35 30 Jun 2018

As you rent it, it is your legally appointed property, and you must maintain it as if your property, to the agreed tenancy signed on the contract.

mrcalif do you condone fraud on these boards or just trying to make an impression?

Look to your own ISP's T&C's rules carefully. You condone another property to 'piggy back' another's ISP supply? Simple question.

rdave13 23:39 30 Jun 2018

lotvic hope your're better, heard all's not well. Just concerned.

lotvic 23:52 30 Jun 2018

rdave13, thanks, can I PM you?

rdave13 23:56 30 Jun 2018

lotvic certainly, at any time. No need to ask. We go back a long time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)