Want to change OS to XP

Acerak 18:27 30 Dec 2004

I have a Dell notebook that has ME installed. I'd like to change OS to XP. Is it simply a matter of getting XP and installing it or would I have to reformat my drive and then install XP? Basically I have lot's of data on the notebook that I don't want to lose and would therefore not wish to reformat if it all possible.
Any help will be much appreciated.

VoG II 18:31 30 Dec 2004

You can get an XP upgrade disk and simply install "over the top" of ME.

The purists reckon it is better to reformat first but I upgraded this beastie from ME to XP without formatting and have had practicaly no problems since.

VoG II 18:32 30 Dec 2004

Check for compatability first click here

Jackcoms 19:29 30 Dec 2004

Acerak

"I have lots of data on the notebook that I don't want to lose"

You do back up, don't you??

ventanas 21:37 30 Dec 2004

I've done it both ways, install straight over the top, and to a clean disc. As VoG™ says, there is no discernible difference in the result.
Having said that I'm afraid I'm a purist.

One thing worth remembering, once you have upgraded you can use the XP upgrade cd to reformat as often as you like. You will not be asked for a further upgrade verification. Therefore if all you have is a Recovery Disc in the form of an image, you can upgrade over the top, and then reformat and reinstall with the XP cd for a clean installation. This is what I have done when faced with this situation. Lengthy, but thorough.

nerawan 14:08 31 Dec 2004

You can use a program like Partition Magic that let you install 4 operating systems. You can have Me and XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?