Wanadoo free web space & FTP'ing your site

georgemac 12:03 21 Jan 2005

Has anyone managed to load their website onto the free web space provided by wanadoo?

I have tried and failed miserably. I have a simple family website with some computing tips which I used to have hosted on my free NTL webspace - I used to ftp it to there no problem.

Wanadoo allow you to upload files one at a time, which will take forever, but even if I just upload my index.htm page it still says there is nothing to load.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved - I have used the search facilty and I am not alone but no answers so far.

georgemac 12:11 21 Jan 2005

I have deleted the site and files again on the wanadoo server.

When I create the site, wanadoo place an index.html file in the root directory, and when I go to the site address it opens a page saying this site is under construcion.

I then import my 4 files index.htm links.htm title.htm and main.htm and when I go the web address it says we're sorry but the page you requested cannot be found.

When I open the file index.htm with my browser from my hard drive it opens the framed page perfectly.

I am a bit lost.

georgemac 12:11 21 Jan 2005

sorry, that is after I have moved the wanadoo index.html out of the root directory.

georgemac 13:49 21 Jan 2005

the file extension of the index file must be html - .htm was no use - never knew that this would make a difference, thought the browser would have opened any of the files.

now just have to get my redirect fixed and check the site is all OK.

glad I came in here though, got a link to powerless's site

Handy Spinner 17:23 28 Jan 2005

...but I thought I'd just mention that I have successfully used Wanadoo's webspace before, to run a popular site in its field. When using the Wanadoo upload service, I would often upload a .zip file of my site - if you notice, they offer to take a Zip file and unzip it once it arrives. Works very well, especially if you've got many files to upload!

Regards,

Handy Spinner

georgemac © 17:49 28 Jan 2005

the one thing I don't like is the wanadoo advert above the index page - NTL never had this when I used them.

I also now cannot lo in my my ftp application - wanadoo say I already have an open connection!

When my 12 months is up I will be switching to another ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?