Waking up and Shutting down

stevenansell 17:33 24 Mar 2003

I have a network of two computers so that i can share a broadband connection (one has the cable modem, the other shares it using XP internet sharing).

I have recently discovered the Wake-On-LAN feature of PC's that have compatible NICS and motherboards. It is quite a good feature to be able to fire up the other PC before i get to it.

At first i used a little program that you type in relevant details then it wakes the PC. Then i found you could use the command line so that i could use the dos prompt or better still make a windows shortcut.

This is all woking perfectly, but now i would like to consider shuting down remotely. I also recently started using the Remot Desktop Connection software in WinXP so that i can access the other PC. I thought shutting down would be a simple matter of using that, but when accesing the PC remotely the usual power options are unavailable.

Instead i aquired an XP version of the shutdown.exe program that using the right switches i could make a windows shortcut, put it on the other PC's desktop so that when i use Remote Desktop Connection i can click it and shutdown.

This long post is actually going somewhere. I would like to escape using the Remote Desktop software in order to shutdown.

The original shutdown.exe program in XP has a switch that goes like this "shutdown.exe -m \\computername" but for some reason this program doesnt work in XP so some person has made a working XP version.

But unfortunatly this XP version doesnt have the above switch to shutdown a network PC.

Can anyone help, its good to have a "Start PC" shortcut on the desktop, and it would be great if i could acompany it by a "Shutdown PC" shortcut.

Steven A.

powerless 17:55 24 Mar 2003

On the other computer...

Right Click desktop > New > Shorcut > Copy and paste:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s

Into the "type the location of the item:"...

Next...

Finish...

"shutdown" shortcut on desktop, when clicked computer will start a 30 second countdown to shutdown.

Place the shortcut anywhere you like.

It may work it may not...

stevenansell 17:59 24 Mar 2003

Nope that shutsdown the PC i am working on. I want to be able to shutdown another PC on the network

powerless 18:52 24 Mar 2003

I found this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?