W98SE no sound

Digital 12:55 04 Feb 2005

Using W98SE, CDs play OK but no sound from on-line radio stations, CNN, MSN &c. Device Manager says all OK. Anyone got any ideas please?

LastChip 13:06 04 Feb 2005

For starters, open up your Sound Mixer and make sure nothing has a tick in the mute boxes.

When you boot your system (assuming the speakers are already turned on) do you get the "Windows Tune"?

Digital 14:50 04 Feb 2005

Thanks LastChip. I do get the Windows start-up tune. I have a CMI8738 sound card & I've just reloaded the drivers. When I use Media Player to try to play Classic FM for instance I get a message that it MP is unable to play it & to right click on the failing item for details but right clicking doesn't produce anything. Where do I find the Sound Mixer?

pj123 14:59 04 Feb 2005

Download (free) JetAudio from click here

Use Preferences to set it up and it will play/record anything you like to throw at it.

Any problems, email me via the envelope.

Digital 15:01 04 Feb 2005

Just fixed it! Found the card wasn't selected under Control Panel, Media, Audio tab; selected it & now all seems OK. Thanks LastChip.

Digital 15:03 04 Feb 2005

Thanks too pj123, your response came up as I posted my previous one. I'll have a look at that.

LastChip 15:25 04 Feb 2005

Go to, Start; Programs; Accessories; Entertainment; Volume Control.

You should also make sure you have the appropriate CODEC to run the radio stream.

When I just tried radio on my experimental machine, Media Player (an old version supplied with Win98se - version 6.4.07.119) asked to download the Windows Media Audio Codec. This I did, and started up Virgin Radio (picked at random) with no problem.

So, the short answer is, Win98se should run a Radio Stream with its original Media player with no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Visual Trends 2018: This year’s must-know colour, design, branding & photography trends

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?