W98SE & IE 6

[DELETED] 15:34 26 Jan 2010

I know its "old hat" but will IE 6 work on W98SE. Reason is Hotmail web mail does not like IE 5.5 which works fine on all other web pages.
Can I still download it, and where can I get it from? Thanks David

[DELETED] 10:46 28 Jan 2010

Thanks so much for your replies, will investigate options and let you know outcome. David

[DELETED] 10:53 28 Jan 2010

The unofficial w98se says "This is only for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. I highly recommend that you should backup your system before installing the pack.It contains only operating system updates. It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6, DirectX 9, Media Player 9 and their updates".

It does not contain IE6?
Thanks David

[DELETED] 11:15 29 Jan 2010

I can not download IE6 SP1 from the first link above because I have to run a loader prog which then downloads the IE6 for w98se. I think this is a large download and I am on dial up.

Is there any way to download IE6 without the loader prog, so I can use Broad band at my locl library to do it.
More help please.
Thanks David

Stoneywood 17:03 29 Jan 2010

You can normally find IE6 on ISP disks.

[DELETED] 17:37 29 Jan 2010

I just tried the link in my first post to download the full copy of IE6sp1. It worked fine.

I'm running a 64bit system and IE6sp1 is for a 32bit system so it cannot load on my system automatically.

You will need to find out if you can burn cd disks at your library. If you can then print/copy the instructions in the link to take with you to the libray and then follow the instructions carefully.

You can choose all or part, i.e., just for w98 or for all the O/S's listed. The full download is about 50MB. I think w98 part is about 13MB.

Jack

[DELETED] 18:35 29 Jan 2010

Try this link the instructions are much clearer on points of where to save etc. You should be able to print the page quite easy.
click here

[DELETED] 11:09 30 Jan 2010

Thanks for all your helpful tips, will investigate and let you know. David

[DELETED] 11:30 30 Jan 2010

Just to inform you that Google is stopping support for IE6 on the 1st of march.
Not sure if that will make much difference to you or not.

[DELETED] 00:44 07 Feb 2010

a ps; antivirus program compatible with Win 98SE is Avast 4Home

If you do not have any antivirus cover how then do you know if you have got an infection on board?

you dont....

plus then how do you know you are sending clean emails out or getting cleam emails in...you dont ....

[DELETED] 15:16 07 Feb 2010

Its only on hotmail web mail that I can not read the inbox of emails. ALL other web pages work fine on IE5.5 on my PC W98SE. I have not got any virus. I know I am NOT sending/receiving dodgey emails, I know from 8 years of close monitoring. If I suspect anything I restore a previous ATI image. Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?