W98 shut-down too fast - forces scandisk prior reb

grianal 21:15 18 Nov 2003

Supermicro P6DGU, 2x550 PIIIs, 384 SDRAM, W98SE.
I have upgraded this machine myself, but there is a problem with the cache not being written to HD as it shuts down. (I think). I remember PCA had a cure for this some time ago, but I can't remember it, or find it in the 'SEARCH'. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please. Thanks

Rtus 21:18 18 Nov 2003

Boot go to run > Msconfig > Advanced tab > disable fast shut down .See if that helps?

MAJ 21:18 18 Nov 2003

You could disable FastShutdown from msconfig > Advanced (if I remember correctly). There is also the Windows 98se shutdown supplement, if it's hanging on shutdown. click here Read the bumpf, first.

grianal 08:52 19 Nov 2003

Thanks guys - but I've tried both these solutions to no avail. I think it requires a registry tweak - something to do with slowing down the hardware, so that windows has time to unload before shut-down....

Jester2K II 08:56 19 Nov 2003

Look for the IDE Hard Drive Cache fix. click here

It adds a pause in the shut down process to allow data to be written back to the drive.

Jester2K II 08:58 19 Nov 2003

Also how are you running 2 x PIII 550s? I didn't think Win98 supported Dual Processors???

Gongoozler 09:09 19 Nov 2003

grianal, also if you have Norton AV, then Options - Autoprotect - Advanced, and untick "Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down". Look at this site for a superb compilation of shutting down solutions for all versions of Windows. click here

grianal 10:42 19 Nov 2003

Hello Jester: thanks for info on IDE. I should have mentioned my machine is scsi. Which probably knocks out the IDE patch.
W98 & 98SE BOTH support dual processors - so no problem. (btw, I bought XP upgrade and tried to get a dual-boot up & running, but have had to give up on it, as it hangs on the notorious 39 min parse). Thanks for your help.

grianal 10:45 19 Nov 2003

Hello Gongoozler: had a look at the link you kindly provided. Looks promising. I will let you know how I get on once I've worked my way through the tests. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?