W7 not genuine

howard64 11:29 12 Feb 2011

I have been using a pc with W7 on it for the last 6 months and all microsoft checks have shown it to be genuine. Now after an automatic update it is showing as being non genuine. I have tried system restore but it remains the same. When I click on the ms message it checks and then says that the key is in use on another machine. All the ms site does is offer me a way of paying for a new key. I wonder if the update caused the pc to appear to be as a different machine. Does anyone know how I can get get things sorted? Cheers in advance.

birdface 11:39 12 Feb 2011

Maybe get in touch with whoever sold you the W/7 and if it appears to be genuine phone microsoft to see what their problem is.

BRYNIT 11:42 12 Feb 2011

You do not say if it was a new computer with win7 prinstalled or you purchased win7 seperatly.

You could try activating by phone click here If it is a genuin copy it will activate

GaT7 11:44 12 Feb 2011

There's one sure way to know either way, i.e. whether fake or genuine (& no need to contact anyone at this point).

That is to use Microsoft's MGADiag tool to generate a report, then request an analysis of it at the official MS forums, after opening a fresh thread there.

- Direct MGADiag download: click here (or follow link at click here).

- MGADiag analysis request forum thread example click here.

- Relevant subforum to post in: click here, after registering via click here? - if you already have a Windows Live ID, you can sign in with that.

Couple of past related threads at PCA click here & click here that you may find relevant. G

howard64 15:00 12 Feb 2011

thanks all lots to try thanks again

GaT7 16:02 13 Feb 2011

howard64, were you able to determine if it was a fake, or was it a false alarm? G

howard64 16:03 13 Feb 2011

so far today I have not been able to use the other pc so no change as yet.

GaT7 16:10 13 Feb 2011

I see, so you have not asked for help at the MS forum or contacted Microsoft? If it is a false alarm the MS forum will be able to help too.

If you read my posts in the other threads, I had a similar experience to you, & was confirmed to be fake the first time. G

howard64 16:19 13 Feb 2011

Thanks Crossbow7 where are your other posts?

GaT7 16:22 13 Feb 2011

See the last 2 links in my post of Sat, 12/02/[email protected]:44. G

howard64 16:31 13 Feb 2011

sorry Crossbow7 I was being daft I thought you meant another entry somewhere else, silly me. My other pc is in the office at the back of the garage and I have a lot of stuff between me and it until late tomorrow. Obviously from what you put I need to run the report etc., from that pc so it will be after the stuff goes. I am due to have some teeth out tomorrow pm so I wont even be able to get my teeth into it until much later, lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?