W7 Network Problem

onthelimit1 09:02 31 Aug 2012
Answered

My main PC is Windows 7 pro, with a USB connected Brother printer. My other, is an XP machine working through homeplugs in the workshop. I had set this up to be networked and printing to the Brother printer was fine. It suddenly stopped printing – looking at the W7 Control Panel, Network and Sharing centre, Change Advanced Sharing settings, it is set to Turn Off Network Discovery and Turn Off File and Printer Sharing. I can click ‘turn on’ and then ‘save Changes’, but when I go back to check they’re both at Off again.

Google seems to suggest a repair install of the OS. Wondering if anyone has other thoughts before I do that.

Thanks.

rdave13 16:13 01 Sep 2012
  rdave13 16:15 01 Sep 2012

Oops, try this Link.

onthelimit1 19:04 01 Sep 2012

Thanks - I'll give it a go after a couple of large ones!

onthelimit1 16:06 02 Sep 2012
Answer

Right - repair install went with no problems (just the desktop picture changed - everything else is as it was). I can now share printer and files again, so must be down to a festering virus.

Thanks to all.

onthelimit1 10:58 06 Sep 2012

For info - had a popup today saying windows wasn't activated (despite everything seeming to go OK when I keyed in the COA during the repair install). Used the suggested phone activation which went without a hitch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?