W7 Network Problem

onthelimit1 09:02 31 Aug 2012
Answered

My main PC is Windows 7 pro, with a USB connected Brother printer. My other, is an XP machine working through homeplugs in the workshop. I had set this up to be networked and printing to the Brother printer was fine. It suddenly stopped printing – looking at the W7 Control Panel, Network and Sharing centre, Change Advanced Sharing settings, it is set to Turn Off Network Discovery and Turn Off File and Printer Sharing. I can click ‘turn on’ and then ‘save Changes’, but when I go back to check they’re both at Off again.

Google seems to suggest a repair install of the OS. Wondering if anyone has other thoughts before I do that.

Thanks.

rdave13 16:13 01 Sep 2012
  rdave13 16:15 01 Sep 2012

Oops, try this Link.

onthelimit1 19:04 01 Sep 2012

Thanks - I'll give it a go after a couple of large ones!

onthelimit1 16:06 02 Sep 2012
Answer

Right - repair install went with no problems (just the desktop picture changed - everything else is as it was). I can now share printer and files again, so must be down to a festering virus.

Thanks to all.

onthelimit1 10:58 06 Sep 2012

For info - had a popup today saying windows wasn't activated (despite everything seeming to go OK when I keyed in the COA during the repair install). Used the suggested phone activation which went without a hitch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?