W32 Spybot Worm

griffo 20:35 10 Mar 2005

NAV detected this infection in 3 files and couldn't fix them. Ran Spybot search & destroy and it found loads of errors, quite a few it couldn't fix as it said they were in use and asked to run spybot again on restart. I said OK and rebooted. During reboot I'm getting the following:
"NAV autoprotect, unable to determine the location of the configuration files". I click OK and it then enters W98 setup wizard!!
Can anyone please help??

Happy Soul 20:55 10 Mar 2005

Have you tried click here
or click here ?

Happy Soul 21:07 10 Mar 2005

And have you read this click here ?

griffo 21:10 10 Mar 2005

Unfortunately I can't even boot properly into safe mode. It doesn't load explorer or any icons.

zarobian 21:36 10 Mar 2005

Symantec security response center has detailed information regarding removal of the W32.spybot.worm.
click here.

griffo 21:40 10 Mar 2005

Yes I know thanks, but as already stated, I can't reboot to do any of the recommended fixes. I get the DOS message "NAV autoprotect, unable to determine the location of the configuration files" and then it goes into W98 set up wizard. I need to overcome this problem first.

Dan the Confused 22:43 10 Mar 2005

Try restoring the registry click here to the previous one (note that there should be a space after 'cd' in the MSKB instructions).

woodchip 22:48 10 Mar 2005

As a temp start try starting with a Win98 floppy and at A:\> type

SCANREG /RESTORE put the oldest date back then reboot and try to remove the Virus after you get it going

griffo 09:36 11 Mar 2005

thanks for these suggestions, will try them this evening and post results. Cheers

griffo 07:30 12 Mar 2005

Did this - it worked! PC now rebooted, running virus checker (Norton)to see if bug is still there. Will work from there. Many thanks to both of you, very much appreciated.

griffo 10:20 12 Mar 2005

NAV has now fixed the three infected files - all seems fine now. Again, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?