W2000: Floppy Drive and CD-Roms not seen

martinold 13:24 14 Feb 2003

I upgraded to W2000 yesterday.

The floppy and both CR-Roms (one is CD-RW) worked properly.

I downloaded all Windows 2000 Upadtes.

This morning, the floppy and both CD-Roms are not being 'seen' by the computer. Accessing Device Manager tells me that they are all 'working properly', and have the latest drivers. Auto-play does not work.

Clicking on the floppy brings the response: 'incorrect function', and one the CD-Roms: 'insert CD', when there is one there already.

Help!

Martin Old

recap 13:39 14 Feb 2003

I think "I downloaded all Windows 2000 Upadtes" could be your problem here martinold. Some updates are not always necessary. One (or more) updates could be having a conflict with your drives.

martinold 13:45 14 Feb 2003

thank you recap - how do I find which updates to remove? Have any proved problematic?

recap 13:54 14 Feb 2003

Trial and error martinold. You may have to uninstall the updates one at a time to see which if any are causing the problem.

Before you do start doing this wait a while to see if anybody else can suggest an alternative, as it may take some time to find the culprit.

martinold 15:05 14 Feb 2003

all Updates removed (one at a time) - no solution!

recap 17:30 14 Feb 2003

martinold, I've just re-read your original posting. You say that you "upgraded" W2K, was this from a clean install or just overwritten?

Personally I would do a clean install of a new O/S.

Sorry for not spotting this earlier.

martinold 17:45 14 Feb 2003

De-installed various programmes, and the problem has now been resolved.

Many thanks.

Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?