VPN over a wireless network

a beginner 16:33 20 Nov 2005

Hi people, I wonder if any body can help? I have just purchased a new Belkin ADSL router to try my hand at wireless networking. All set up really easily and I was able to access the internet within minutes. Excellent, however, one strange problem, when I try to activate my VPN client SW to my office it will not connect over a wireless connection. It works perfectly when the laptop is plugged into one of the wired ports on the router? I have used the wireless card to access the office network before now but never on my new network. Is this just a router setting problem??

Forum Editor 19:01 20 Nov 2005

have a problem with digital signatures and some wireless network cards. For instance, I have had problems with a Cisco client and a Linksys wireless card in the past - simply changing the card made the problem go away.

I take it you're not working with WEP enabled on your network? If you are, you might try disabling it to see if that makes a difference - your VPN might reject the adapter for that reason, although my preference would be for a change of card on the laptop if possible.

a beginner 19:12 20 Nov 2005

Thanks Ed, I continued to tinker with the VPN interface page. I reaslised that a 'care of IP' address was not populated. This is usually done automatically. I entered the address of my network card and the connection worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?