Volume on Laptop

tardis100 20:41 23 Mar 2010

I have just tried to use ITV Player for the first time, got the programme up but the volume is so low I can hardly hear anything. I have checked the volume icon in the notification area and made sure it is not muted and the slider is at the top. I have hovered the mouse over the volume icon in ITV Player and the slider is at the top there too. Does anyone know how I can increase the volume? I’m using an Acer Extensa 5620 Laptop running Windows XP Any help gratefully received, thanks.

keverne 21:13 23 Mar 2010

Does pressing the Fn key at the same time as Arrow Up make any difference?

tardis100 21:35 23 Mar 2010

Thanks for getting back have just tried using the Fn key and am trying to convince myself that there might be just a little more volume but really I don't think there is. Does anyone else have this problem or is your volume OK? Oh and by the way I get the same problem with the BBC Player.

keverne 21:38 23 Mar 2010

Is the volume OK when you play a CD or DVD?

tardis100 21:48 23 Mar 2010

Yes, sorry, I meant to say that - volume is much louder playing a CD

northumbria61 22:24 23 Mar 2010

Do you have Silverlight Installed? - You can change volume levels on this.

click here

tardis100 14:54 24 Mar 2010

Thanks for the offers of help but so far nothing has changed. Silverlight? hmm never heard of that but followed your "click here" and tried to download - information was that it had downloaded - but it hadn't. 4.7Mb in 1Sec. I don't think so! I did click on install but just got "installation failed." It is obviously a problem with my Laptop, I tried on my PC and no problem with the volume. I am using the Laptop wirelessly downstairs (the PC is upstairs) could this be significant?

northumbria61 21:29 24 Mar 2010

Hi tardis100 - I am running Win 7 64bit (Desktop) but I also have an old laptop which is running XP and I have looked at ITV Player on the laptop - there is no problem with the sound.

Are you sure you have checked your Audio Settings - you can do this via the volume icon on your taskbar or via control panel (Sounds & Audio Devices) but theprocedure is the same.

Right click on your volume icon in taskbar - you should have 2 choices - volume control & adjust audio properties. Choose "adjust audio properties" - Volume Tab - Device Volume set to High - Click "Advanced" Volume slide to High (Top) - Speaker Settings (next to picture of speakers) click on Speaker Volume - slide to High - Advanced Tab - Select Laptop Stereo Speakers
** Remember to click OK at the bottom of each screen **

tardis100 17:23 25 Mar 2010

EUREUKA I now have decent sound—so a HUGE thank you. I really thought I had checked the Audio Settings but not as thoroughly as northumbria61 pointed out. When I checked the Speaker settings the Left was set to High but the Right was very much lower - pushed that up and there was great improvement. So very many thanks.

northumbria61 19:52 25 Mar 2010

Great news - you will certainly remember this in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)