volume label

User-F19B448A-819C-4883-991C282DFCFBDA20 08:06 24 Jul 2003

I am trying to convert fat to ntfs on my hard disk, but what is 'volume label' is it 160gb or what.

-pops- 08:18 24 Jul 2003

No.

I always leave this blank and let Windows put whatever it wants in there.

Jester2K II 08:56 24 Jul 2003

When you convert from FAT to NTFS you are asked for the Volume Label to confirm the drive is the one you want to convert.

You need to enter the name of the drive/

Open Explorer and look at the drive you are trying to convert

Its should say DriveName( c:) - DriveName is the Volume Label

This is what you are being asked for...

Djohn 10:00 24 Jul 2003

As -pops- and Jester2K II say, it is just for naming your drive, You can call your primary drive anything you wish, Most people leave it blank, then your drive will automatically come up as "C" drive. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 10:45 24 Jul 2003

Sorry - have to point this out. During a FAT32 to NTFS coversion you don't get the option to name the drive, the conversion program asks you to confirm the Volume Label of the drive you are converting.

jpieter needs to know the Volume Label of the drive he is converting because if you don't enter it correctly it stops the process. He doesn't need to kinow HOW to name it, or IF to name it but WHAT the Volume Label is so he can confirm it with the FAT to NTFS Convertor.

neko 11:01 24 Jul 2003

As you haven't said if this has sorted it, I did this last week and jpieter is right.
It is just the name given to the drive.
If in Explorer it just says (c:) it is has no volume label, anything before it is the Volume label.
If you want to give it a label then right click the drive and select properties.
Another way to see the volume label is from a command prompt type VOL. This will even tell you if there is no label! :)

Jester2K II 11:04 24 Jul 2003

jpieter - doesn't need to know how to set or change the Volume Label. jpieter needs to know what it is. When converting from FAT32 to NTFS you are asked to confirm the Volume Label of the drive. If you enter it incorrectly then it won't convert your drive to NTFS.

jpieter wanted to know what his Volume Label is not how to change or set it...

neko 12:25 24 Jul 2003

Where i said jpieter is right i had meant to say JesterK II is right! I agreed with you it's just the name for your drive and how to look for it so he knows what to enter. That answers his question.
He hadn't replied so as I did it not long ago I agreed with a previous post to help him.
A bit of information on how to change it if he wanted to doesn't hurt does it?

No need to get angry in this type of forum.
You hurt my feelings, lol.
Now the Euro there's something to get angry about:)

Djohn 13:52 24 Jul 2003

Must admit I'm a bit puzzled here. When I did mine, I just hit the enter key to confirm and it carried on with the conversion. Regards. j.

Jester2K II 13:53 24 Jul 2003

Djohn - do you have a Volume Label on your HDD cos when i did mine it took me ages to realise what it meant!!!

Jester2K II 13:59 24 Jul 2003

When the following message is displayed in the command prompt window, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:

The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter:

Also from other sites

How to convert FAT32 to NTFS

1) To convert FAT32 to NTFS, at command prompt, type convert drive: /fs:ntfs. You may be asked for enter volume label and schedule next reboot to convert it.

2) When the following message is displayed in the command prompt window, type the volume label of the drive (Name of drive letter if you are using one) that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive letter

I converted 3 drives and each time i had to enter the Volume Label to confirm the drive...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?