Visual Basic Apps

Jarvo 19:23 22 Nov 2003

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help with a bit of VB, I am trying to get an update macro to copy data from a closed workbook within the same folder on the C:\ drive and paste to the current sheet. I can get this macro to work using this code to open the closed workbook-

Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\My Documents\work files\excel test\sales.xls"

But I would like the file address to be non geographical so the workbooks can be distrabuted on number of PC's. I know in VB6 you can use

App.Path & "\sales.xls"

Is there a command for VBA to open Workbook files in a shared folder?

Many thanks in advance

Jarvo

VoG II 22:55 22 Nov 2003

Application.Path

Jarvo 08:46 23 Nov 2003

Hi VoG

I have trided Applcation.Path but it looks for the file in the Office 10 folder as Excel is the aplication. I would like the files to be placed in a folder in the my documents folder as there is less chance of users delving there way into the windows folder and messing about. I dont know if this would be posssible?

Many Thanks

Jarvo

VoG II 10:21 23 Nov 2003

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. Here's an example that opens another file in the same folder as the calling macro.

Sub Auto_Open()

Dim path As String

path = ThisWorkbook.path ' WaQCoMvb.XLA should be in this folder

Workbooks.Open (path & "\WaQCoMvb.XLA")

Workbooks("WaQCoMvb.XLA").RunAutoMacros xlAutoOpen

End Sub

Hope this helps.

Jarvo 17:23 23 Nov 2003

Many thanks VoG

Cracked it today with

Workbooks.Open Filename:=Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Sales Doc\sales701.Xls"

But your code looks very intesting so I am going to have a play around with it. current code opens and closes a number of sheets one at a time causing screen flashing even with Application.ScreenUpdating = False set. I may be going a long way around it but still very new to VB, but its true what they say you learn more from your mistakes and correcting them than anything else.

regards

Jarvo

plasticinepam 12:29 28 Nov 2003

how could i open one vb batch file from another batch file?

Jarvo 19:09 28 Nov 2003

Hi

Not sure about batch files havent played around with them yet this may be one for VoG.

I know that you can use App.Path & "\Yourfilename" for textfiles but not sure this will work with batch files

Jarvo

VoG II 19:13 28 Nov 2003

You need to post a new subject for this - vbs is not the same as vba.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?