Vista won't recognise second hard disc

crenac 14:48 31 Oct 2008

I have replaced the hard disc of my Dell Dimension 5100, and done a clean install of Vista home premium, which is runing reasonably well.

I have connected the old SATA disc which is recognised by device manager and shown as having three partitions: 1 healthy (EISA), 2 healthy (active primary partition) 3 healthy (primary partition). I would like to reformat the disc which had OEM XP and data now no longer wanted.

I'm unable to access the drive which I believe is something to do with the OEM installation.

Can any one offer a solution to this problem?

BurrWalnut 15:07 31 Oct 2008

Have you tried to delete the volume?

If not, go to the Windows Orb (Start), type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter, right-click the graphic for the drive and delete all the volumes. Then ‘Create’ a partition in the unallocated space and ‘Format’ it.

crenac 15:39 31 Oct 2008

Thanks BurrWalnut
I can delete the partitions containing programmes etc (2 in query) and the one which I think is the Dell help files (3 in query), but not 1 the EISA partition.
Any more ideas?
Crenac

BurrWalnut 15:51 31 Oct 2008

The third one is small, isn't it?

Why not just ignore it and make one partition from the unallocated space.

skidzy 16:38 31 Oct 2008

The EISA partition is the the recovery/restore Ghost image that would load all the preinstalled apps and os Basically a factory reset.

If ive understood correctly,you wish to totally blank the drive ,removing the os and ghost image and all partitions ?

Then i think your best bet is to use Killdisk or Dban

killdisk click here
Dban click here

crenac 16:12 17 Nov 2008

Thanks guys, unfortunately neither Dban nor the format facility on Vista installation discs will erase the recovery/restore partition. Anyone got any more ideas?
Crenac

DippyGirl 16:52 17 Nov 2008

Could you use a partitioning tool like GParted click here ?
Have used it successfully to create/resize partitions but have never tried to do what you are doing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?