Vista to Windows 7 or XP?

johnincrete 08:22 18 Jun 2010

My friend bought (or rather, was sold) a laptop running Vista - the shop had the same laptop running the Greek version of Windows 7.
Do you experts recommend:
1. Install XP
2. Install Windows 7
3. Do nothing
We are in Crete so English versions are hard to come by but I'm visiting UK soon and could buy the appropriate software - please do not suggest download (if that is in fact possible) because his internet connection regularly breaks down and could not be relied on for a big download.
If your advice is to do nothing & live with Vista, can you suggest a simple book for simple people learn how to to do simple things in Vista!

^wave^ 08:36 18 Jun 2010

if you are going to upgrade then it has to be win 7

onthelimit 08:44 18 Jun 2010

The install of Win 7 over Vista is a simple one - I've not used it much yet, but like what I see. The books on computing that I like is the Dummies series. I haven't raed the Win 7 one yet, but found the XP version great for my less than computer literate friends/family. Can get it from WH Smiths or on line. click here

mooly 12:38 18 Jun 2010

Vista is fine, it's super stable and as long as you have at least 2gb of RAM will perform swiftly.

X.P. I would never go back too... to flaky and outdated.

W7... builds on Vista, but as an upgrade from Vista... not sure it's worth it at all.

john bunyan 13:43 18 Jun 2010

Do run a W7 suitabilty check (available via MS). If ok I would go for W7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts