Vista to Windows 7 compatability problem!

boysie 19:34 12 Feb 2010

Been trying to check my vista system to see if it's compatable with a new copy of windows 7 I've just bought,.Well it's been going through the checking for at least 2 hours now,Is that normal?

GaT7 19:59 12 Feb 2010

No, 2 hours is not normal.

If it can handle Vista, it should be compatible with no problems. I have run Win7 (RC) successfully on 4 older motherboards that are from 2004-2005. And there weren't any specific Win7 downloads available for them.

What motherboard is it? Make & model will be helpful. If this has downloadable drivers for Win7, then the rest of your system shouldn't be a problem.

You can check for other hardware & software compatibility at MS click here, & on one or two forum threads like click here. G

boysie 20:07 12 Feb 2010

Thanks for your reply,

It's a HP COMPAQ laptop I'm trying to install on, and the Compatabilty program is still running! My second attempt about an hour now! Do you think I should just go ahead and install my copy of windows 7 and see what happens? HH

GaT7 20:11 12 Feb 2010

Oh right, so it's a laptop - I assumed it was a desktop. Laptops tend to be a little more picky, but hopefully it'll be OK.

Yes, you can try installing Win7 & see how it does. But remember to do a thorough backup of your hard drive prior to attempting it. G

boysie 20:19 12 Feb 2010

Well here goes! Back up first

Many Thanks<

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts