Vista to Win7 laptop upgrade information

Graphicool1 10:20 04 Dec 2015

Hi Guys

I've seen the following version of windows advertised on Amazon.co.uk...

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit MAR SP1 UK DVD + COA Hologramm (£25.70)

(click here

My question is...

Can I legally upgrade my wife's Vista laptop using this DVD?

Govan1x 11:52 04 Dec 2015

This one from Amazon which gives good reviews but is not suitable for certain laptops. So not sure if you get a selection of laptops that are suitable or not.It says no dell or Fujitsu Version. I suppose you could email them first to find out if it is suitable.

Click here

Graphicool1 12:10 04 Dec 2015

Hi Govern1x

Thanx for that, I read what they had to say. Although past experience with buying from Amazon has taught me not to pay too much attention to what other people think and say in the reviews.

However, it's hardly a fortune and for a bit of peace and quiet at Xmas it would be worth getting her this extra present. I think I'm too impulsive for my own good, although, I hope I'm not! Because I've just bit the bullet and ordered the DVD.

My wife has been struggling with her Vista laptop, on and off, for over a year now. A lot of her problems come from the fact that she has no patience. If she clicks on a programme or file and it doesn't open and be ready to go instantly; she clicks it again and again and again and of course the PC doesn't know what's happening. I've told her to just give it a moment, but I'm wasting my breath and of course it falls upon me to fix it. Each fix is less of a success than the time before.

Mind you, to be fair, I've never been a fan of Vista. I went from Win95 to XP, then to Win7 Pro. So I thought, what the hell, let's do it. I'm expecting delivery next Tuesday.

Such is life, wish me luck

Govan1x 12:43 04 Dec 2015

You are not alone I have a wife like that who does the exact same.

You can go all the way to W10 if you wished but I have always thought that W7 was there best version. Best of luck hope it works out Ok for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 04 Dec 2015

Once you have 7 on it you may then be eligible for the free upgrade to 10.

Back everything up before you start -don't want to be in the doghouse at christmas if you lose her photos and data :0)

Graphicool1 13:13 04 Dec 2015

Hi Fruit Bat/\0/\

Thanx for your input. However, although I know you mean well. While the W10 EULA says what it does, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

If you haven't read it, then click below and your eyes will be opened, as mine were...

[CLICK HERE]

Such is Life

Govan1x 14:01 04 Dec 2015

Graphicool1

Might be me but your click here will not open.

Graphicool1 13:11 05 Dec 2015

Hi Govan1x

Thanx pointing that out, try this one...

click here

rdave13 13:58 05 Dec 2015

Graphicool1 , just to even things out, have a look here . As for the MAR (refurbished) Win 7 it will be ok.

Make an image of Vista first and also use Double Driver to backup your Vista drivers to disk in case you need older drivers for your audio, lan etc. to work in 7.

My ancient Vista laptop has gone through 7, 8, 8.1 and is working well on 10 now.

Graphicool1 15:23 05 Dec 2015

Hi rdave13

I read what the grinch has to say about W10. But at the end of the day he's just giving his opinion, as by way of disagreeing with other people who don't like W10. Which is fair enough I guess, after all everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, when you knock someone who's putting down something you like, without offering any proof to back up their disputes; then surely you should offer some proof to the contrary, well he doesn't.

Further to this, none of what the grinch is on about has anything to do with what I am talking about. Which is their EULA and anyone who gives it the thumbs up has either nothing on their PC worth stealing, or has just clicked OK without reading the EULA.

I'll hold my hands up to doing this very thing myself in the past on many occasions, just to get free software. I would have also done it with W10 too had the problem with the EULA not been brought to my attention.

I'm a Graphic Artist, Photographer and a Poet. When someone wants to buy my work I'm be happy to sell it to them. But for the same reason that I don't have a website, I don't want my work taken without my permission and without receiving payment!. I already know of people who have lost a lot of their work in these ways. Well, I have no intention of adding my name to that list.

The only way that I would be prepared to get W10 is if they amended the EULA.

You need to go to the link I've given above and read the EULA.

My concern regarding upgrading Vista to W7 using that DVD; was because I've seen other DVD's for sale that actually state on the 'For Upgrading' on the packaging. However, this doesn't and I didn't/don't want to have to go down the reformat road.

Thanx for the link to 'Double Driver'

rdave13 16:20 05 Dec 2015

Have a look here for upgrading tutorial. Another helpful link, click here .

Upgrade within Window Vista not boot from disc, just a reminder only :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)