Vista Startup Freeze Problem

Legslip 19:23 22 Dec 2011

Every now and then when my pal start his desktop running windows vista, it gets to the black screen with 'micosoft corp' and the scrolling green bars, but just stays on this screen for ages.

I end up holding down the power button and restarting again, this causes the 'there was a problem starting up your machine last-time' screen with the two options, run problem fixer or start normally, sometimes if i skip the startup repair option and go with 'start windows normally' it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Just randomly happens so you are never sure if you have fixed it or not and it's a real pain in the rear

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 22 Dec 2011

Sounds like a driver problem - (drivers loaded at the scrolling bars)

if it loads OK in safe mode then most likely drivers

try updating / reinstalling drivers starting with graphics driver

Legslip 20:38 22 Dec 2011

Thanks F. Bat. When it palys up it seems to boot OK into Safe Mode. Also, I think it's OK in MSCONFIG -Selective Startup with all Startup Items disabled but System Services allowed. I say 'think it's OK' cos it's such a random problem.

Will update ALL drivers and keep fingers X. Seems to be a fairly common thread with Vista but no real solutions.

Legslip 09:17 23 Dec 2011

Update: I have disabled ALL startup processes and the Display Adapter. The b....y problem still occasionally occurs. Does disabling the Display Adapter stop Vista from loading it's drivers?

Would consider an upgrade to Win 7 if I thought it would fix problem but I'm not confident it would.

Legslip 10:02 23 Dec 2011

Thanks Buteman. AVirus (is ESET) is swiched off at startup and I have updates switched off as well. Virus scans show nothing and no Norton installed. It isn't slow to start, it just on occasions refuses to start at all. Just keep seeing the Microsoft Corporation logo with the running bar. It's a baffler!

Legslip 23:12 28 Dec 2011

Think I may have cracked it. In Device Manager there was showing a Microsoft 6 to 4 Adaptor and a Microsoft Isatap Adapter as not functioning properly. I think the PC was searching for their drivers on boot up. I have disabled them and about 40 restarts have produced no further problem. Can't be certain, but fingers crossed.

Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:43 29 Dec 2011

6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly.

In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature at the moment.

You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component.

However it my be better to leave it uninstalled at this time.

Legslip 13:07 29 Dec 2011

Thanks Fruit Bat. Uninstalled is my selection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

How designers created the world of smash hit drama Bodyguard

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment supprimer le son au démarrage d’un Mac ?