Vista - Quick question re. 'repair' option

AngeTheHippy 09:13 27 Mar 2011

Morning Readers,

My lappy's started playing up and I think it's time to do a Vista repair (F8 on start). Question is, do I lose everything on my HDD? It's not a fresh install/format but I want to check with you anyway.

Happy Sunday,

Ange
x

Jollyjohn 09:47 27 Mar 2011

Before you start I would copy all your personal data, photos, music etc onto a cd / dvd.

You should get the option to do a repair that will maintain your data.

What sort of laptop is it? If it is an HP laptopp the back up option offered in the repair doesnt work. It does a backup of your data but it will not restore it when the repair is completed.

AngeTheHippy 09:53 27 Mar 2011

Morning JollyJohn, thanks. It's a Toshiba L300-1AQ and gradually over the past couple of months has had little 'niggles' - not loading an item on start-up, taking an age to start, n/work dropping- need to cancel connection then re-connect. The other Lappy in the house is still connected,when mine goes down.

Ange
x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 27 Mar 2011

You shouldn't lose anything if doing a repair.
All it dos is replace windows files.

AngeTheHippy 10:50 27 Mar 2011

Ah! Morning Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've not delved into the intricacies of Vista before. This runs of Vista Home Premium. I know that editions have different choices, so would this edition allow just a repair?

A
x

onthelimit1 11:39 27 Mar 2011

Assuming you have the Vista disk, it will repair with no probs. Some guidance click here

AngeTheHippy 11:49 27 Mar 2011

Sadly onthelimit1, many manufacturers don't supply a recovery/Vista with their Laptops/PCs any longer. This is as in my case. I've just created another Toshiba Recovery Disc (also created when I purchased the Laptop) so this is allI have.

A
x

onthelimit1 14:06 27 Mar 2011

Hmm, got a feeling that that does a clean install. I got a Vista Home disc fronm ebay for not a lot which allowed a repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?