Vista- Files in 'my documents' have vanished

laurenll 17:19 11 Nov 2008

Please can anyone help? The problem is I was on my brothers computer and a window appeared saying'you have enabled the google sidebar,which will replace the sidebar,Do you want to keep this setting?'I clicked no,but now everything on the pc seems to have converted back to factory settings.Files are lost!The desktop background&internet history has gone,homepage is different.Even when I change them it just converts back to factory settings each time computer is restarted.'My docs'just contains 'my google gadgets'?some of the lost files are in the recycle bin but some are totally missing. i tried restoring one file from the recycle bin but it said it was saved on desktop,so i tried but i cant find it.So i tried copying it on to a pen drive from the recycle bin.Now that file has disappeared completely. I am not good with computers! Does anyone know what is wrong?

skidzy 17:57 11 Nov 2008

lauren,first step here is to try System Restore.

In your start box (windows orb bottom left of screen) type

SYSTEM RESTORE

And enter,agree to any User Account Control prompts.

You will welcomed by a recommended restore point,if the date and time does not correspond with you and the time of the changes...pick another restore point.All available restore points will be shown.

Follow the prompts.

laurenll 14:36 12 Nov 2008

Thank you, that worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?