Viruses/Malware. How many times YOU affected.

mooly 18:25 25 Aug 2009

How many times in say the last year has your security warned of a problem. Not talking about finding tracking cookies and things like that. I mean proper Viruses, Trojans etc.

GaT7 18:31 25 Aug 2009

Only once for me, using AVG free antivirus & Windows own buit-in firewall in XP Pro. G

rdave13 18:33 25 Aug 2009

Fortunately none.

norman47 18:38 25 Aug 2009

None here also.

Stuartli 18:51 25 Aug 2009

Avast! has warned of a Trojan about once every three months (usually in an e-mail) - it's removed with one click of the mouse.

cocteau48 18:58 25 Aug 2009

AVG has detected a couple of Trojans in the .exe of programs as soon as they were downloaded and prior to installation.

Just to keep you on your toes A Squared finds something almost every week and it is always turns out to be a false positive.

mfletch 18:58 25 Aug 2009

Hard question to answer as I use a few computers,

No1/ probably 2 a year {a Trojan of some sorts}

No2/ and No3/ {Test computers} I use these to test new software so get a few Viruses and Trojans often; but all depends on what Antivirus?Antispyware programs I have installed at the time,

Some get blocked some don;t

It all depends on your browsing habits but if your testing new AV/AS/ out you don;t want to be too careful or there would be no testing,

rawprawn 19:01 25 Aug 2009

None for a long time, it is some years since I was infected with anything serious.
Over the years I have used NOD, Avast,Zone Alarm, AVG, and KIS
I have noticed no real difference in any of these systems.
I only use KIS at the moment because I get it free of charge.I have from time to time had warnings from all of these systems.

DieSse 19:11 25 Aug 2009

Warned of a problem (mostly infected emails, but a couple of warnings about infected sites) probably 15-20 (I get a lot of spam)

Caught an infection - never in 10 years or more.

Personally I trust eset (NOD) security suite, and it's never let me down, so I'm not particularly careful.

mooly 19:23 25 Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies so far... all pretty much in line with my own experiences really. It must be 12 months or more since I had a warning of anything.
mfletch makes a valid point. I guess if you really want to test something you have to throw the worst at it.
I just want something that works and doesn't cause problems of it's own, which is all I seem to have been getting recently as a lot on here will know with a well known product.
Would you believe a security package can "break" windows Vista's defragmenter, or give error codes on windows updates etc etc.
So I wondered how much of a "real" threat there was. I have been using just Windows Defender and nothing else for quite a while, and with no problems, and tbh I didn't expect any really.
Security firms warn of "hundreds of new viruses daily", and that an unprotected PC is infected within minutes etc, but the reality seems somewhat different. I am sure if you went looking for trouble it would bite you and there is always the "unexpected" one of course.
Speaking for myself, I am uneasy without AV and so went back to a clean Vista image before trialling Microsofts own freebie. I would never have continued without anything more than Defender.

mooly 19:24 25 Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies so far... all pretty much in line with my own experiences really. It must be 12 months or more since I had a warning of anything.
mfletch makes a valid point. I guess if you really want to test something you have to throw the worst at it.
I just want something that works and doesn't cause problems of it's own, which is all I seem to have been getting recently as a lot on here will know with a well known product.
Would you believe a security package can "break" windows Vista's defragmenter, or give error codes on windows updates etc etc.
So I wondered how much of a "real" threat there was. I have been using just Windows Defender and nothing else for quite a while, and with no problems, and tbh I didn't expect any really.
Security firms warn of "hundreds of new viruses daily", and that an unprotected PC is infected within minutes etc, but the reality seems somewhat different. I am sure if you went looking for trouble it would bite you and there is always the "unexpected" one of course.
Speaking for myself, I am uneasy without AV and so went back to a clean Vista image before trialling Microsofts own freebie. I would never have continued without anything more than Defender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)