Viruses that keep reappearing

User-9A919F67-6ADE-4BFB-8B35A0F56CB2F7D6 22:43 21 Jul 2005

Long time since I was last on here. Now living and working in Spain.

I have a problem with a friends PC. He keeps getting viruses and I keep removing them by reinstalling Windows XP Pro and all his applications.

The problem is that he likes to visit a "certain type" of website, even though I have warned him that these are probably where they are coming from.

I used to install AVG7, Adaware, SpyBot & SpywareBlaster but these never seemed to stop the viruses, so he went out and brought Norton Antivirus 2005 which I put on there 2 days ago after reinstalling Windows again.

He has just phoned me to say that Norton has cleared off 32 viruses but is unable to fix a further 6.

His PC is connected to the internet via a Satellite Broadband link with a fixed IP address. The Windows Firewall is turned on as are all the parts of Norton.

What else can I do to stop these viruses from infecting his computer. He won´t stop visiting his websites so I need to find something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

VoG II 22:47 21 Jul 2005

Disable System Restore click here

Scan again with Norton (actually he would probably be better off with AVG) and a² click here

When all clear, re-enable System Restore.

Vog, thanks for the quick reply.

I have managed to clear the viruses each time, but he always does something to get them back onto his system. My real question was how do I stop them getting back on to his computer once I have removed them? They always seem to get through his firewall and AV software.

I have been away from computers for nearly a year so was wondering if any new software is available? I will try the a2 software as you suggested.

961 08:49 22 Jul 2005

See if the ISP can offer a non fixed IP address. If not can he use a hardware firewall. If not then he needs either Zone Alarm or Sygate firewall. The Windows firewall does not protect outgoing data, only incoming. ZA works in both directions

DieSse 09:29 22 Jul 2005

Better AV? - Try NOD32 click here 30day free trial

Better Firewall?

Firefox as a browser?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts