Virus weekend

Forum Editor 10:34 23 Aug 2003

It's beginning to look as though we may be about to experience a bad weekend as far as virus infections are concerned, and although I very much hope that the alarms are false I thought it might be helpful to post details of those places (apart from here) where you can get help and/or advice about the current crop of nasties.

By far the biggest current threat is our friend I-Worm/Sobig.F which is classed as category 4 (high) risk.

There are other viruses active too, and for more information, or to download fixes you should
click here
OR
click here
OR
click here

As always, if you have any doubts, or if you think you have an infection but aren't sure what to do next, come to the Helproom. Take a look to see if there are any running threads about your problem before you post one of your own.

Have a good weekend, and as a famous precinct officer in a famous TV show used to say "Be safe out there".

Forum Editor 10:53 23 Aug 2003

but I'm a realist - the vast majority of the world's desktops are Windows desktops, and this isn't a thread that's intended for discussions about alternatives.

powerless 11:50 23 Aug 2003

No Anti Virus? click here

Free online check click here

Windows Updated? click here

See you on the otherside people.

Forum Editor 12:38 23 Aug 2003

99.999% of all firewall 'alerts' are simply notifications about routine contacts by your ISP, or some other innocent party. They may safely be ignored. Most people who are on the internet a good deal disable the alert notification in the firewall options and just let it get on with its job in silence.

The chances of your computer being invaded by someone (or something) are so small as to be almost negligible, and provided you have an up-to-date anti-virus application running you can surf the web with confidence. A couple of years ago almost nobody ran a personal firewall - they were unheard of in the home computing environment. It's a sign of the times that nowadays we all feel naked without one.

Stuartli 13:31 23 Aug 2003

It's the virus writers we should really be getting rid of - or at least guiding their talent towards achieving something more useful for the community..:-)

woodchip 14:10 23 Aug 2003

Have they always missed me? virus's that is, or is it that the Anti-virus that's not made now is doing its job. It's not supported and I have never downloaded one Dat file as it does not need them.
Achilles Shield On internet for 6 years

woodchip 14:19 23 Aug 2003

That's what I do

Forum Editor 14:28 23 Aug 2003

No, I'm not saying that. My car has seatbelts, airbags, and ABS braking, and I've never needed to put any of them to a true test. I wouldn't dream of trying to disable any of them though, because in that rare emergency any one of them could save my life, and that's the principle that should guide you when considering a firewall.

Your firewall will probably never need to stop an intruder, but if by some chance that one in a million occasion occurs you'll be glad it's there, doing its job.

Legolas 14:38 23 Aug 2003

I had never had a virus up till last week and had no virus protection on my computer and to be honest I was a bit smug and complacent.

Then I got the Win32.Parite.1 virus and it infected almost 500 files on my computer I got rid of it with the kind help of the postees on this site (I love you all)but it made me much more virus aware and wiped the smile off my face.

I now have a virus checker and intend to check once a week at least. So the moral of this tale is...don't get complacent over your computers security or health keep your virus checker up-to-date and make sure you have a good firewall installed. I also have been using Mailwasher for a while now and delete any emails at source that I do not know the sender.

A little time and effort now can save you a lot of time and effort and perhaps money in the future.

woodchip 14:38 23 Aug 2003

You could try one of these click here=
If you have any problems E-Mail me

woodchip 14:40 23 Aug 2003

Sorry it did not work just type into google Achilles Shield

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Adobe announces Custom Toolbars for upcoming ‘Illustrator CC 2019’

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Les drôles de questions à poser à votre assistant Google Home