Virus problems

Bevlee 02:35 02 Mar 2004

In the last few weeks I have had about 20 viruses--sobig ---latest is w32Beagle--also doom one
I have opened none and norton is catching them but my question is this
Some cannot be repaired.
Do I still need to download and run the deletion tools?
I find the instructions confusing.
Why so many of them its daily
Thanks so much Bevlee

hugh-265156 03:25 02 Mar 2004

make sure windows is all up to date with security or critical updates click here

then just keep norton or any av you use up to date.check every day or every time you login for new updates and run a full test regulary.

"some cannot be repaired" yes and you may get a message saying if cannot be removed either or if it is removed it reappears again.this may be due to system restore keeping a copy of the virus so every time you scan its found again.

disable system restore if using win me or xp,run a scan and delete any virus found.enable system restore again.

hugh-265156 03:25 02 Mar 2004

make sure windows is all up to date with security or critical updates click here

then just keep norton or any av you use up to date.check every day or every time you login for new updates and run a full test regulary.

"some cannot be repaired" yes and you may get a message saying if cannot be removed either or if it is removed it reappears again.this may be due to system restore keeping a copy of the virus so every time you scan its found again.

disable system restore if using win me or xp,run a scan and delete any virus found.enable system restore again.

Bevlee 16:06 02 Mar 2004

I wonder if changing my email would help 4 more today sigh

Bevlee 16:06 02 Mar 2004

I wonder if changing my email would help 4 more today sigh

Stuartli 17:43 02 Mar 2004

Try Message Rules in Outlook Express to weed out e-mails with common expressions on unwanted messages.

Stuartli 17:43 02 Mar 2004

Try Message Rules in Outlook Express to weed out e-mails with common expressions on unwanted messages.

hugh-265156 18:18 02 Mar 2004

dont use the preview pane in OE and do not open any emails if the sender is unknown or an attachment you were not expecting.

turn of preview pane:

click tools/options/read and untick "automatically download messages when viewing in the preview pane"

click view/layout and untick "show preview pane"

nothing will open now unless you click it.

hugh-265156 18:18 02 Mar 2004

dont use the preview pane in OE and do not open any emails if the sender is unknown or an attachment you were not expecting.

turn of preview pane:

click tools/options/read and untick "automatically download messages when viewing in the preview pane"

click view/layout and untick "show preview pane"

nothing will open now unless you click it.

hugh-265156 18:20 02 Mar 2004

sorry i forgot to say.try mailwasher click here

hugh-265156 18:20 02 Mar 2004

sorry i forgot to say.try mailwasher click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?