viewer for .dat pictures

howard64 17:21 02 Feb 2010

A friend has been sent a cd with pictures on it that end with .dat. I cannot find anything to open the files with. Does anyone know of a free viewer for .dat pictures. Thanks in advance.

GaT7 17:27 02 Feb 2010

Try, saving the files to your hard disk (copy + paste), then change their extensions to .jpeg.

But first you may need to enable 'Show extensions for known file types' in Folder Options. G

howard64 17:35 02 Feb 2010

thanks Crossbow7 but that did not work but when I click on the files on my pc nero show time kicks in and plays the files which turn out to be movies. So what I need is a free viewer that I can download onto my friends pc.

GaT7 17:46 02 Feb 2010

Right, so they aren't pictures but videos.

What program did your friend use to make these videos? Or, what format did s/he save the videos in? Try the above, but this time change the extension to the format s/he saved it in (these are usually .avi, .mpeg, .mov, etc).

Then, to view them, use the same program as your friend if possible. If not available for free, try a free media player like VLC click here that'll play almost anything. You may have to change the extensions first though to a video format. G

howard64 19:09 02 Feb 2010

thanks very much Crossbow7 vlc works just fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?