Video editing a recording from an old camcorder

johnincrete 08:11 19 Jan 2018

I have an old Samsung VR-D383EDC camcorder that records onto mini-tapes. I have not used it for many years. The last time was when I had my old computer running XP into which I fitted a Firewire card. After that much loved PC died of old age (about 17years old) I bought a new PC that came with Windows 10 already loaded. The video editing software I used was Adobe Premier Elements but when I tried to load this software, it tells me that it wont work on Windows 10. I bought a connector that has USB on one end and a Firewire socket on the other for 9 Euros rather that get a Firewire card for 40 Euros. (Computer stuff in Greece is massively more expensive than UK) AS soon as I connected the camcorder cable only, I got a message saying power surge on the USB port. The stuff I recorded on the camcorder is precious and I want to load it to the PC, edit it and then burn a DVD. I have looked a three sites in UK and see that there are many different Firewire cards and I do not have the ability to see which I need. Questions: 1. Has anyone any experience of these USB-Firewire connectors? 2. If connector does not work, can someone recommend a Firewire card? 3. Can anyone recommend video editing software that will run under Windows 10 and is not expensive and which will load clips from a mini tape like Elements so easily did. I don't want to spend too much because next video recording will be on my smart phone or I will get a new digital camcorder.

hastelloy 09:23 19 Jan 2018

I use Premier Elements 13 on Windows 10 without any problem.

johnincrete 13:33 19 Jan 2018

locally Elements costs 142 Euros so too expensive. Still looking for advice on Firewire

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple