Video conversion speed

Overdosal 15:27 16 Apr 2015

Good day everybody! I have a question that bothers me. Recently, I purchased a new laptop - HP 15 Notebook PC. Here are the basic technical characteristics: System Name: HP 15 Notebook PC,Processor Name: AMD A6-5200 APU (quad-core, 2GHz) with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, BIOS Name: F.32, Video card Name: AMD Radeon HD 8400 Installed Memory: 4.00 GB, Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1. Also, I still have my 4-year old laptop Samsung RV-511. It has Intel Pentium P6200 2.13 GHz (dual-core), Operating System - Windows XP SP3.

I have installed AXARA Video Converter 3.5.2 on both computers, made absolutely identical settings in the program on both computers. Still, the older dual-core was converting video THREE times faster that the new quad! What the reason it might be? Please help in finding the answer!

Jollyjohn 19:16 17 Apr 2015

W8 is resource hungry, leaving less for the video conversion. You don't mention how much RAM is installed in XP. Have a look in task manger and compare performance figures, at idle, between the two laptops.

Ian in Northampton 20:51 17 Apr 2015

Depending on how the software was designed, it may be that it was originally optimised for the way XP works. Have you installed different versions of the software - or just got the XP version to run under W8? And: although the newer processor is theoretically more powerful, if the software can't take advantage of four cores...

And, as Jj says, W8 is known to be a bit of a resource hog.

Overdosal 15:37 11 Jul 2015

Thanks everybody very much! Very reasonable explanations I have got.

martd7 20:28 11 Jul 2015

If you use vso "convert x to dvd",you can choose how many cores to use and the programs priority when encoding

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The art projects making this 2019 General Election more bearable

Funny things to ask Siri

Test : LIZ, la bouteille connectée française de NOERDEN