VHS to DVD

xania 15:40 25 Jan 2010

I have a Sony recorder with both VHS & DVD. I have copied one of mt VHS tapes to DVD successfully, so it plays withoutany probelsm on the Sony recorder. However, when I try to play that creted DVD on my PC, it is not recognised as having any data on it. Using Windows explorer to try to read the disc in drive N:\ (DVD Read Write drive) Error message reads:

N:\ is not accessble. Incorrect function.

I can only assume that my Recorder is not recording in a format that Windows understands. Any ideas how I might overcome this problem, please?

xania 20:21 28 Jan 2010

No joy with Imgburn either. And I've just tried it on my laptop just in case I had a WIndows problem and same thing happens there.

xania 10:24 29 Jan 2010

Lazarus The 2nd - thanks for this. It looks as if I did not finalise the recording correctly after all. I will try this way now and report back.

xania 11:22 29 Jan 2010

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. It seems that I can only create discs readable by my PC if I use re-writables - not write once discs. Oh dear.

eedcam 12:36 29 Jan 2010

Not a big problem though unusual but once on the pc you can burn as many as you like and reuse the RW

xania 13:01 29 Jan 2010

Absolutely. Use one +RW , copy to PC then burn to +R.

Thanks.

eedcam 18:53 29 Jan 2010

great but -RW/R is more commonly accepted that +RW/R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)