sam2004 00:16 05 Apr 2005

Hi there, thanks for the help earlier everyone...
... I'd just link to confirm that a monitors VGA connection is the older style wire that is being replaced by DVI(?) And DVI is the new Digital monitor connection?

I want to check this so i get the right graphics card off of EBAY because the on-motherboard graphics of one of my computers is playing up!!

Thanks in advance

  DieSse 00:30 05 Apr 2005

Right - VGA is the older style connector - DVI is the newer style. For DVI to work it's needed on the graphics card and the monitor. Normally ony higher spec TFT screens have DVI inputs, though it's becoming more common.

Use of an adapter negates the benefits DVI might have. Opinions are divided on whether DVI is better in practice, as graphics card/monitor manufacturers have become quite good at doing the conversions for VGA.

  sam2004 00:32 05 Apr 2005

You have summed it up in a paragraph where my books have taken pages!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?