Very slow start up on two units

compumac 09:03 18 Apr 2018
Answered

One Windows 10 laptop and one Windows 10 Desktop.

A few weeks ago, the laptop suddenly decided to take up to four minutes to reach working condition. All Microsoft software is Up-to-date and Antimalware and Antivirus scans find nothing. CCleaner finds nothing. These are run on a regular basis.

Yesterday the Desktop has begun to exhibit the same slow load up time.

Any suggestions?

Secret-Squirrel 09:38 18 Apr 2018

Very slow start up................

The first thing to try when any Windows 10 (or 8) computer starts to play up is to restart it. This is done by clicking the Power button and choosing Restart. The computer will probably boot a lot slower than usual when you do this but subsequent ones should be a lot quicker. If that doesn't help then read on:

The Windows Event Viewer boot-performance logs can frequently identify what's causing the slow down. There's more info about it here. Make sure you avoid the pesky advertisements on that webpage though.

A quicker (though much less informative) way is to have a look at the "Startup" tab in Task Manager. Look through the list for apps that show a high "Startup Impact".

compumac 14:35 18 Apr 2018

Secret Squirrel

Used Restart on Desktop and subsequently switched off and then restarted as normal but it was still taking about four minutes.

Then used Task Manager for High Impact items which then displayed "Canon Quick Menu (2)", Dropbox (3), "Logitech Webcam Software", SuperCharger MSI) "RoboForm Taskbar", "Winpatrol Monitor" and "PrinterAnywhere Console(2).

Why would Dropbox display (3) and PrinterAnywhere display (2)?

Any comments on these entries?

wee eddie 14:54 18 Apr 2018

Not one do you need on Start-up

compumac 15:09 18 Apr 2018

wee eddie.

They have ben there since time was invented (almost) without this slow start up

wee eddie 15:45 18 Apr 2018

Have you ever heard of Updates? They can lead to radical changes, without you're knowing that anything has happened

If you use CCleaner > Tools > Start-up: It allows you to "Disable" items (they become greyed out) > You can then "Enable" any that you wish to reinstate.

When I had an almost similar problem, I disabled all except my Anti Virus and then, over the next few weeks, re-enabled any that I felt that I really needed. One at a time

Secret-Squirrel 17:46 18 Apr 2018

Any comments on these entries?

I doubt too that they're responsible. You can however temporarily disable them in Task Manager's Startup section then check if there's any improvement.

Did you look at the Event Viewer logs? It's a much better way of identifying the specific culprit. It also shows the time (in milliseconds) that it added to the boot time.

Oh, and by the way, don't forget to make sure that Win 10's "Fast Startup" feature is enabled.

compumac 21:16 18 Apr 2018

wee eddie

I had already gone through the scenario of disabling those items in the start up and it had made no difference.

Secret Squirrel

I have Fast Start up enabled.

in respect of Event Viewer there is nothing indicated (as far as I can see) for the time of booting up first thing yesterday and indeed again today. Although I have gone through the Event Viewer today it is not something that I have done comfortably before and would welcome any further advice/comments on that.

canarieslover 21:42 18 Apr 2018

Have you updated CCleaner lately. I had that problem a little while ago and it seems that CCleaner also installs it's Avast, which it has just bought out, so you then have two antiviral programs on the computer. You can download the remover for Avast and rUn it as directed and it should all be well again. Good luck.

compumac 09:31 19 Apr 2018

canarieslover

Checked and No I do not have Avast installed.

I would agree that the problem has probably been caused by an action such as a recent update as two of my PC's are affected by this and only just recently.

The laptop is a setup in the same manner as the Desktop in having the same programmes and is used solely for the purpose of a reserve in the case of a malfunction with the main desktop.

They are both updated and scanned at the same time.

I have looked at the Event Viewer but am uncertain as to exactly how to ascertain as to any problems that might be relevant as non of the times shown in the event viewer seem to tie up with the last few occasions where this has happened.

I would welcome any further guidance in respect of this.

Secret-Squirrel 09:33 19 Apr 2018

Although I have gone through the Event Viewer today it is not something that I have done comfortably before and would welcome any further advice/comments on that.

I'm not sure that I can explain it better than the webpage I linked to but here goes:

Open Event Viewer, then in the left-hand pane, navigate to Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostics-Performance -> Operational.

Events are listed in the top-centre pane. Look in the "Task Category" column for "Boot Performance" entries. Serious ones have a level of "Error" or "Critical".

If you spot something then click on the entry and the details will be displayed in plain English in the lower pane. Look for entries that say things like "This driver/service/application took longer than usual to startup resulting in performance degradation". Performance degradation is measured in milliseconds so divide than value by one thousand and that'll give you better idea of the impact caused. If you find something, and you can't work out the culprit for yourself, then let me know its file name and other relevant details.

By the way, if you think you may have more than one security program installed then you can check by going to Control Panel -> Security & Maintenance -> then expand the "Security" section.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs