Very slow PC startup and solid HDD light

Xenon6 12:58 21 Jan 2018

Hi, I’ve had my PC for around a year and a half and everything has been fine so far, but recently when I turn it on it goes to a black screen for around 5 minutes prior to the login screen showing and the HDD light on my case stays solid. Then when logging in everything is very slow for a few minutes and the blue loading circle remains on the cursor, eventually it speeds back up but this happens every time I restart or turn on my PC. What is wrong and how do I fix it? Thank you.

MJS WARLORD 13:14 21 Jan 2018

have you downloaded anything recently , look in add/remove and see if you got any bits you don't recognise , run antimalware bytes and if it finds anything repeat the scans till it finds nothing , look in start up menu to see what runs from boot up , on my pc I only have the realtec audio driver set to run from boot up , my anti virus boots up without being told to.

Jollyjohn 14:57 21 Jan 2018

How much space is there on your hard drive? Realistically you need 20% free space for Windows to run smoothly.

Secret-Squirrel 17:42 21 Jan 2018

What is wrong...........

The Windows boot-performance logs frequently reveal what's causing startup and shutdown issues. You'll find the logs in Event Viewer. Have a read here (but ignore the pesky scam ads) if you're not familiar with it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus