Very old laptop, cannot view most web pages,

castiel333 19:15 21 Nov 2015

I have just tried to use my very old laptop (Windows xp home edition, 32 bit) for the first time in over ten years and cannot view most web pages.

I figured it is probably because the browser is too old but it is a catch 22, because I cannot download a new one due to not being able to view web pages.

I did manage to download a version of chrome however but despite it being suitable for XP 32bit, it refused to install.

I really would like to get online using this laptop, and would appreciate any help.

castiel333 20:04 21 Nov 2015

Thank you for your reply, I will try an older version and Firefox. I'm not sure what a stand alone version is but I will look it up. I actually cannot even access Google but I can access Bing search. Thank you again :)

Fermat's Theorem 20:14 21 Nov 2015

Castiel333, it might be worthwhile considering keeping your XP machine offline because Microsoft has stopped supporting XP and you may be letting yourself in for security/hacking difficulties that you may, in time, regret.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure" :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:53 21 Nov 2015

If its a 10 yr old XP laptop its probably got very little memory.

Modern sites require a lot of memory to run properly, if you have lesss than 1G RAM then its not worth it as sites will run really slowly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Inside the concept art behind Nicolas Cage's most bizarre film, Mandy

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?